1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Owner in Sports History?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3OctaveFart, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

George Steinbrenner and Al Davis not on the list? Sure they won a lot of games, but it seems they treated their people terribly.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Definitely NOT based on business model. All these guys end up making out like bandits in the end. For example, Frank McCourts ran the Dodgers about as ineptly and embarrassingly as imaginably possible, and then sold them a few years later for far more than a BILLION dollars more than he'd paid for them. Go figure.

If we excluded the ones who came out way ahead business-wise, we'd have damn near nothin to talk about. That would eliminate all the biggest douchebags.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Thanks man.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

Gotta go with Stepien. To live through that era in these parts was staggering.

Quick story: Once, T.S. (for "Too Stupid," as Pete Franklin dubbed him) was plotting to move the Cavaliers to Toronto. While denying it (he was a compulsive liar, on top of everything else) in Northeast Ohio, he went on a Toronto radio show and admitted it. Well, Franklin got word of it and telephoned the show. He began his all with, "I'd like to have a few words with your esteemed guest," then proceeded to rip T.S. a new one on live radio. Somewhere, I have a recording of that on a cassette.

Anyway, me and a few buddies (we were in high school) went to a game at the Coliseum soon after. I wore a Cavaliers shirt and a bag over my head, but was also armed with a big poster-board sign that read, "Sell T.S., keep the Cavs!" As I held up the sign, it began to be noticed, including by T.S., who sent a pair of his goons after me. When I saw them coming at me, I took off, running all over the Coliseum as they gave chase. Finally, I was able to pitch the sign and the bag and blend back into what little crowd was on hand that night.

The best part? The late Casey Coleman's camera man (Coleman was a TV sports anchorman in town then) caught the whole thing on camera and Coleman featured it on his sportscast that night.

Too Stupid... asshat.

5. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Surprised there was no mention of Harry Frazee who sold the greatest player of all-time to finance his Broadway play.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Weekly press passes. No season press passes, IIRC.

7. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Tose's predecessor as the Eagles' owner, Jerry Wolman, deserves to be in the discussion here too.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Harry Wismer. Owned the NY Titans before they became the Jets. Didn't pay his players at one point and threatened to waive them all if they complained, and also forbade his coaches to actually coach for a week when the players complained about their checks.

9. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Frazee was a victim of bigotry.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2004/news/story?page=Curse041005

10. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

It is impossible to imagine his sport without the many contributions of Al Davis.
    That is not just in light of his late passing.
    He doesn't belong on a thread for jackwagons.

11. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Thanks for blessing us once again with one of your "quips".
    The only thing missing is the cymbal roll.
    Sad thing is you really do fancy yourself a humorist.
    Don't you.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Wolman yes. Tose no. George Shinn should definitely be on here along with John Y. Brown.

Draft saved Draft deleted