1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Offseason MLB Free Agent Signing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), May 30, 2008.

?

Who was the worst free agent signing this offseason?

1. Andruw Jones Dodgers

26 vote(s)
    55.3%
  2. Eric Gagne Brewers

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  3. Carlos Silva Mariners

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Jose Guillen Royals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jason Jennings Houston

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. LaTroy Hawkins Yankees

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Brad Wilkerson Mariners

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  8. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  9. Mini Ditka

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

But he's so solid and dependable.

His earned run average is now up to 6.00, but he does have the potential to rediscover his inner mediocrity.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The Andruw Jones signing has been a disaster. And think about this ... Scott Boras really thought he could get Jones a better deal than Torii Hunter got.

Jones is lazy. Boras is delusional.

3. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

Andruw Jones.
    He's getting 18 Mil a year and the guy has seven RBIs in seven weeks!!!!!
    That's insane.
    Seven RBIs.

Jayson Werth put up better numbers in one game (three HRs and eight RBIs, I believe) than Andruw has put up all season.

I think the difference between Andruw and the other guys on that list is that the Dodgers thought they were getting a future Hall of Famer when they signed him --- one of the best CFs to ever play the game --- instead they got a slow No. 8 hitter with no power.

Maybe he'll turn it around. But he looks lost at the plate. Completely lost. So something drastic will have to happen for his signing not to be viewed as an utter disaster.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Carlos Silva hasn't won a game in more than SIX WEEKS. Tonight he lasted two-thirds of an inning, and seven of the nine batters he faced got hits as he gave up a seven-run first (without benefit of a homer, which is tough to do).

Give the man a chicken dinner.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The White Sox traded for Swisher. This thread is about free-agent signings ...

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And his ERA has ballooned up to 6.00 after allowing seven runs in two-thirds of an inning last night.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And Jones is on the DL. He's pretty awesome.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You could argue he's doing less to hurt his team right now than Silva.

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

After checking out stats (I don't follow the NL too closely), you guys have convinced me. It's Andruw.

But the Brewers are still braindead for giving Gagne a deal like that. He nearly singlehandedly destroyed a world champion.

Silva has been absolutely terrible in May (has to be one of the worst single months in recent history, no?), but he had a damn good April as well.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Silva has traditionally had one of the best BB/IP ratios in the majors.

That still doesn't mean you don't suck.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Other.

Besides Silva, those are all 1 or 2 year deals - low risk, you're out soon no matter how bad - even Jones & Gagne.

I vote the Mets resigning Castillo for 4 years.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Jones laps the field.

I don't know what the hell happened to Gagne. He pitched great in Texas where there was no pressure. (Waitaminute, I think I answered my own question.) Doug Melvin has an unhealthy affinity for ex-Rangers: Kapler, Shouse, Gagne, etc.

By the way ... Jason Jennings signed with Texas, not Houston. Not that anyone would notice: He just had his second elbow surgery. But he was damaged goods anyway and the Rangers didn't break the bank for him.

I would submit Ben Broussard, who barely made it out of April with the club and is currently in Triple-A in Scranton.

Draft saved Draft deleted