1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Offseason MLB Free Agent Signing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), May 30, 2008.

?

Who was the worst free agent signing this offseason?

1. Andruw Jones Dodgers

26 vote(s)
    55.3%
  2. Eric Gagne Brewers

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  3. Carlos Silva Mariners

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Jose Guillen Royals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jason Jennings Houston

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. LaTroy Hawkins Yankees

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Brad Wilkerson Mariners

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  8. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  9. Mini Ditka

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm not generally the type to get too wound up about what ballplayers make, or how this guy makes more money than that guy, etc., but it does bug me when teams throw money at one "proven commodity" that they'd be better off plowing into three or four useful players.

Silva may or may provide decent value over the life of his contract, but I think the Ms will in a few years wish they had spent that money on something else, as they do now with the money they threw to Sexson, Wilkerson and (apparently) Ibanez. The good news is they'll be out from under all three of those deals after this season. Silva, they still owe $36 million over three years after this one, even if he sucks.

On the flipside, the Braves could have spent $20 million a year on Andruw Jones, but instead took that money and used it to pay Glavine, Kotsay, Ohman and Teixeira, among others, this season. The $20 million they would have spent on him next year can help pay for an extension for Francoeur, or options on Smoltz, Glavine or Chipper. Or they could use it all on a monster offer to Teixeira (which he'll turn down, but at least they'll be able to say they tried).

It's all about having options with your payroll. And locking up a 12-12, 4.50-ERA-type pitcher for four years limits what you can do, when you could just as easily sign Kyle Lohse for one year at a third the price.

2. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

I think most of us who remember Andruw Jones when he first came up had to think we were seeing greatness at its early stages. It's sad that he's chosen to half-ass on his talent instead of really tapping into it. I don't think it's all a case of "he simply lost it." Rather, he took the money and ran on reputation. The worst thing that happened to him was the 50-HR season. Since then, he's become so damn pull-conscious that every swing he takes is with the intent of plastering one 450 feet.

At this point in his career, Jones has a chance to revive his freefall. It's up to him. Does he want to become a 4th-5th OF who flashes his skills on occasion or does he want to turn it around and become the solid player he was around two years ago.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As someone who watched Andruw about 150 times a year from the beginning of his career until this year, I don't know that he is as much "half-assing it" on his talent, as he is a guy who never had to work out to be a great baseball player.

When he hit age 30 or so, that natural muscle started to soften up a little bit and his reflexes (and consequently his bat speed) fell off a little bit. He just doesn't seem to ever have known (or cared) how to achieve the maximum from his ability, especially since he no longer can rely on talent to get by.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This team is finally starting to make some noise, you have to wonder where they'd be if they had a clue during the winter meetings.

They sign or re-sign five middle infielders, give up on an outfielder who has played very well in Chicago and Buck Coats makes the opening day roster.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I like Suppan, but the QS stat needs to be overhauled.

I'll be counting on the fine pointy-headed folks at Baseball Prospectus to take care of it. I have no recollection of the quadratic equation, much less any and all of the 10th grade.

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Take away the two starts against the Yankees, and Silva hasn't been that bad.

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Andruw Jones has been, by far, the biggest disappointing off-season acquisition. Jones, to date, is only hitting .165 with two homers and seven RBI. The Dodgers payed him waaayyy too much, too. The Dodgers are paying Jones $36.2 million for two years hoping they'll see the 2005-2006 Jones (92 HR, 257 RBI, .354 AVG), yet they didn't get that. To make matters worse, Jones is out 4-6 weeks after getting knee surgery. He only hit .222 and his power numbers were way down. I don't know why the Dodgers wasted their money...

Their best chance is to cut Jones now and try to find a decent CF or keep Kemp or Pierre active who can be decent replacements.

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Hold on. You sayin' they play baseball somewhere other than NY?

Take away two starts against the Yankees and one against the Tigers and his WHIP's 1.2. That he's been blowed up in three of his past five starts is disconcerting, but he was 3-0 with a 2.79 in April and 0-4 with an 8.89 in May. He'll probably end up winning about 14 with a 4.5 which makes him, well, Carlos Silva.

As for Wilkerson, the guy was a last-minute grab off the scrap heap for all of $3m.

The conversation has to begin and end with Andruw.

9. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I'm torn between Jones and Gagne. Both have been abominable. I voted Gagne, but now I wish I voted for Jones since his deal is for two years and Gagne for one. But they ain't no "King" Carl Pavano. ;)

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Yeah ... what I was saying about Carlos Silva? Never mind.

11. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Holy shit. Granderson is a homer and a bloop single from the cycle, and the game's still in the first inning.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

He's not been an Andruw Jones-level disappointment, but Nick Swisher and his season-long battle with the Mendoza line should at least get a mention.

Draft saved Draft deleted