1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Offseason MLB Free Agent Signing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), May 30, 2008.

?

Who was the worst free agent signing this offseason?

1. Andruw Jones Dodgers

26 vote(s)
    55.3%
  2. Eric Gagne Brewers

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  3. Carlos Silva Mariners

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Jose Guillen Royals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jason Jennings Houston

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. LaTroy Hawkins Yankees

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Brad Wilkerson Mariners

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  8. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  9. Mini Ditka

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

And Brad Wilkerson.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Malign Carlos Silva all you want. He's the ultimate average pitcher. And $12 mil/year isn't a bad deal for a guy as reliable as him.

Over the last four years, he's had one bad year and compiled a 47-45 record. He's essentially Paul Byrd, whom the Indians have been ecstatic to have for $7 mil/year.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That's an insane deal for him. If you're paying that much you better get more than just ultimate average. You can find ultimate average that is just as effective for a whole lot less.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Or Jeff Suppan.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I know, but I had him as a very close second to Jones as getting the worst deal, so that little bit nudges me the other way.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Most teams would love to have Carlos Silva at the back end of their rotations. He's a big, durable guy who will make his 30 starts, pitch his 200-plus innings and there's a real good chance he'll walk fewer batters than any other starter in the league. Guys can make a lot of money doing that in baseball and I think the Mariners were pretty smart to lock him in for a few years.

7. TheSportsPredictor

Good luck with that.

I don't know where to get the data, but I'd bet that 90% of pitchers with more wins, more IP, and better winning percentage than Carlos Silva from 2003-2007 are making sizeable cash.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Even though he's having a good year to date, I still think the Reds' four-year, $46 million deal for Francisco Cordero was dumb in exelsius. He was cruising along at this point last year too when he hit the wall. He was average at best the rest of the way.

No closer deserves that kind of money, particularly on a small-market team that can't weigh itself down with dumb contracts, and especially for a guy with as inconsistent a track record as Cordero has.

As bad as Gagne's been for the Brewers, I'll take his 1-year, $10 mil over 4 years, $46 mil for Cordero ... not that the dumb ass Brewers didn't try to lock Cordero up for a similar deal.

9. TheSportsPredictor

Is that the guy who signed a four-year, $42 mil contract before the 2007 season?

10. I voted for Eric Gagne because I think at the time everyone's reaction was "wait - they gave him how much?" The Brewers should have known better.

However, the potential exists for Tom Glavine to be the worst signing. I love the sentimentality of him finishing up in Atlanta and he still has some powder in the guns but his signing cost the Braves their first round pick in compensation.

Now they Mets will be drafting 18th with Atlanta's pick. If they get a stud - then the Glavine signing could prove to be costly. Of course the MLB draft is for the most part a complete crap shoot.

BTW - the only good thing about Gagne is he earned the Red Sox a sandwich pick.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

He pitched eight shutout innings Wednesday night and has six "quality starts" this season. He's been a victim of non-support a lot. His ERA is 3.93 as we speak. I'd say that's above average.

But the contract makes fanboi loosers expect a lot more, as they always fail to recognize the importance of a guy who has made at least 30 starts nine straight seasons. There are only three or four guys with a better streak than that. Does that make him above average? Depends on who you ask. If you ask a major-league manager, the answer would be "you betcha."

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I picked Wilkerson for that reason in the poll. Anyone already gone from a team has to be a disaster.

If I had to vote again, I'd say Gagne might be close behind.

Draft saved Draft deleted