1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst non-journo job you've ever had

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Drove a while in Wyoming on the way to Seattle and saw all of two gas stations off the main highway in those hours.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I was a mover for a day. We did an eviction in the morning. In the afternoon, I almost got into a fight with the owner's son. When the 14-hour day ended, they stranded me 3 miles from where I parked my car. Then they stiffed me for half a day's pay and I had to go to the state labor board to collect it.

3. Mira

Mira Member

My worst job also was the one I only worked for three days: cold calling people to ask if they wanted a subscription to the daily newspaper in my hometown. Thought didn't even cross my mind at that point that I would go on to obtain a journalism degree and work in sports at a newspaper.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I worked at a furniture store delivering furniture during college and had a blast. Good coworkers, the owner was an absolute peach. Didn't mind the weather when I had to be outside, which was a lot. They bought surplus trailers to expand their storage space, and it was hot as hell out there, but my memories of that place are virtually all positive.

5. doctorx

doctorx Member

Dishwasher at a hospital. Nasty job to begin with and I quit 30 minutes before my shift when screwed out of overtime (even the straight pay, never mind time and a half).

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Worked two summers at a Burger King. Hated the customers who would roll into the drive thru one minute before closing and order 10 Whoppers.
    I remember once when a customer ordered a veggie Whopper. We all looked at each other cluelessly. Manager told us to pass the buns through without a patty, then make everything regularly minus the meat. This was in the early days of vegetarians venturing to fast food places, I reckon.
    Most hilarious part of the job was Kevin. Kevin was a co-worker who was developmentally challenged. His job was to put the frozen burger patties into the broiler. Well, during the lunch rush you need a lot of burgers quickly. We'd tell Kevin to send a ton of burgers through. He'd start slamming those things on the grill. So hard, usually about half of them would fall apart. Either someone would have to come off the line to help him out or he'd be encouraged to take his break. Usually the former, since it wouldn't look good to the customers waiting impatiently for their delayed lunches to see an employee wandering around.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This explains so much.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I had a good friend who did it for a day as well. He got hired by a company that specialized in moving senior citizens. His very first job, he reaches into a desk drawer to get a grip on a dresser and puts his hand in a pile of shit.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Were these guys a couple of your co-workers?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

And I thought I had a bad day. Many years later, I was talking to the owner of another moving company and told him of my experience. He said the company I worked for that day was a bottom feeder and the run-in I had with the boss's son was more a bad reflection on him than it was on me.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ahh, to cup Ray Charles' balls in your palm.

Draft saved Draft deleted