1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst No. 1 NFL draft picks?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by alleyallen, Apr 22, 2008.

?

Do you think Rivals.com got it right with their top 10 worst No. 1 draft picks?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. Somewhat

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I still say a bust is a bust, especially for the team which drafted the guy. Makes little difference how you go down. Unless the Bungles got compensation for Carter's injury, it most definitely was a bust for them.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

To me "bust" means "mistake" . . . as in it doesn't matter who picked the guy --- he cannot play. And it can be argued that someone (scouts, GM) should have known this.

Someone who has his knee turned to spaghetti because of a freak injury might not have had that incident had he been somewhere else. And there is no way to predict who will be unlucky.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Not to mention an addendum to an earlier post. What if Ki-Jana Carter had played for another team and that injury never happened? Or what if it happened on a team with an outstanding medical staff? Or with today's medical advances?

Did the Boston Celtics draft a bust back in 1986 when their top pick died of a cocaine overdose? I think a lot of teams would have drafted Len Bias then. Having a player die certainly isn't something the team can control.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Awful pick. No doubt about that. But I think this is supposed to be just No. 1 overall.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thank you! Let's remember, folks, that we're only talking about No. 1s overall. That was the jist of the list. :D

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

My post clearly stated first-round pick, following up on a minor branching off of the list.

I mean, I coulda just posted something political. That seems to be popular on most threads. :)

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

You're right. My bad. I was going off of what OOP posted.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Man, I get blamed for everything around here... :p

;)

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

But you're so easy to kick around!

Sorry...apology to you, too.

10. rube

rube Active Member

He'll play left and he'll be just fine. He played both at U-M and while he had a bit of trouble with speed rushers (i.e. Vernon Gholston, but then again, who didn't?) he was a tremendous run blocker. There's a reason why Mike Hart had as many yards as he did at Michigan, and it ain't because of his lightning quick 40 time (nearly 4.7).

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Along the same lines, St. Louis Cardinals drafted punter/kicker Steve Little in 1978 with the 15th pick. He was terrible with a 40% FG Percentage. Cut by the Cardinals 1980.

Draft saved Draft deleted