1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst No. 1 NFL draft picks?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by alleyallen, Apr 22, 2008.

?

Do you think Rivals.com got it right with their top 10 worst No. 1 draft picks?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. Somewhat

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Yeah, but this was Buffalo. Now, if he'd played at the other end of the state...

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Did notice the high percentage of Golden Domers on the list (Ken McAfee anyone?) But mostly I appreciated Rivals going back to the 1970s on this thing, before Kiper, the combine and the endless speculation. And Carter's injury should preclude him from being on the list. Who knows how good (or bad) he would have been healthy.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

And I believe Gerald Ford had an offer to play for the Lions, but he elected to go to law school instead. Mind you, the NFL wasn't looking too solid at that point, what with merged franchises like the Steagles. On a throwback day, I want to see Philly and Pittsburgh wearing Steagles jerseys.

Also, Emtman at No. 1 and Quentin Coryatt at No. 2 is a prime example of why the Colts sucked before Jim Irsay finally convinced his father that, yes, Jim Irsay was a lousy GM and maybe hiring a real one would be a good idea. What, trading two first-round picks for Fredd Young wasn't enough? Talk about your cries for help.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

The Steagles were a one-year creation of World War II (too many players on active duty to field independent rosters), as was the Card-Pitt merger the following season. "Throwbacks" wouldn't exist -- they wore Eagles jerseys in 1943, Cardinals in '44.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Huh? The Steagles existed for one year (1943). Apparently there was a war going on or something and there was a shortage of young men to play professional football.

The Steagles used the Eagles' jerseys.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The extra "D" stands for Defense, you know.

It's not a coincidence that the Colts' fortunes rapidly began to change when Bob Irsay's health began to fail and Jim was able to move into an ownership role and turn the GM job over to Bill Tobin, and later, Bill Polian. Tobin had a few dust-ups with Mel Kiper, but built an AFC finalist largely through free agency and other teams' castoffs. Polian built a championship team through the draft, by largely shunning free agency. The only real draft miss Polian had was picking Rob Morris in the first round, but even he turned into a serviceable player once he was moved to OLB.

Emtman looked like a great choice at the time, but injuries never allowed his career to blossom. The only thing I really remember about his career was his long game-winning INT return at Miami on the last play of the game. He was pretty good when healthy ... that one week.

Coryatt was a bust from the beginning. Big-time bust.

That draft could've set the Colts on a successful run in the 1990s. But instead, it killed them. At least in 1987, when Cornelius Bennett held out, they got Eric Dickerson out of it.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In my lifetime the worst 1st round draft pick I have seen was when the Giants took Rocky Thompson.

Someone mentioned Ken Mcavee earlier- another in a long line of ND busts of the 70's . In that time frame ND players failed by the truck load . The NFL loved those big slow white guys with a pedegree before scouting got a lot more sophiscated.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When you talk about supertsars . . . .
    [​IMG]

And at 6 feet 7, he had the size all GMs are looking for.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Ron Wolf was brought in in 1991 to stop the fail that was the Green Bay Packers at the time. If if wasn't for that Mandarich Pick, I don't think they ever get Favre. As a matter of fact, (if the Pack got Sanders) they're probably just like the Lions during that stretch--good, not great, maybe a playoff appearance. Wolf came in and brought in Mike Holmgren and Favre came in 19-92.

And while not #1 overall picks, Akili Smith has to rate right up there with T. Couch.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm with Piotr. If you suffer a catastrophic career-ending injury, you're not a bust. That has nothing to do with picking poorly or a player not living up to their potential, it's just bad luck.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

That's a crime he's on the list. Did he live up to expectations? Of course not, but like WB said it's not his fault he tore up his knee, and his career, on his first carry in his first preseason game.

Carter's game was centered around his speed and doctors simply couldn't put him back together like they might have been able to with today's medical advances. Same with trainers, which I'm sure in Cincy were terrible then just like the rest of the franchise.

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

The list for worst first-round pick begins and ends with Russell Erxleben, Saints, 1979 (11th overall). A freakin' punter-place kicker in the first round? Not to mention he was excrement on the field (and as a human being, see jail time for financial misdoings).

Typical East Coast bias. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted