1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst No. 1 NFL draft picks?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by alleyallen, Apr 22, 2008.

?

Do you think Rivals.com got it right with their top 10 worst No. 1 draft picks?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. Somewhat

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Long can play either tackle, and because this is such a muddled draft, I believe Long is the safest pick. Sure, there will be plenty of great players to emerge, but right now, it doesn't seem like there is a can't-miss-type...a title I think Long is closest to reaching.

2. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

Waaaay too early but I have a feeling JaMarcus Russell will move onto that list in the years to come.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Both Entman and Carter should be lower. They weren't busts for any reason other than their knees betraying them.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That's always the debate that comes up over this. Are they a bust because they sucked or a bust for their team because they were never healthy? I'd say a bust is a bust, because it's the team's big shot.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Incredibly dumb to include Vick on any draft-bust list. The guy rejuvenated a franchise and won a playoff game in Lambeau, which had last been done by a visiting team in ... never. If he had been seriously injured in a car wreck a year ago or suffered through something else that similarly would have ended his playing career as the dog fighting has appeared to do, I don't believe his name would be thrown on these lists. But the dog stuff was so egregious that now Vick's entire career is being rewritten? That's a little too much revisionist history for me.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I think a bust is a dude who gets every shot, and as the years go by, people say, "Man, they should never have drafted that bum."

That's a lot different than, "Oh, crap, he just kept getting hurt."

And: agree with playthrough on Vick. When his photo came up first when I saw this list earlier, I laughed. What?

7. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

Exactly, a bust is a bust. Also, the impact on a team's salary cap has to be included. Recent picks like Carr and Couch were much more devastating to their respective franchises because of the huge sums of money dished out to them upfront.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Long is definitey the safest pick... If I have the No. 1 pick, I want an immediate superstar. If this guy is anything less than Orlando Pace or Walter Jones he'll be a colossal disappointment... For that kind of money he had better be a Pro Bowl left tackle immediately...

Do you think he'll be any better than Joe Thomas? I don't...

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Worst is so relative... I would consider Aundray Bruce the worst of my lifetime...

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This one came before anybody was worrying about salary structures, but Gary Glick used to turn up on these lists. He was probably only left off of this one because he has been forgotten.

11. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I love that D. Sanchez's avatar is Captain Avatar.

Worst No. 1? Sims in my book.

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I can't say he's going to be better than Thomas, but I can't say he'll be worse, either.

My point is, who is an immediate guaranteed superstar in this draft. It seems to be a deep draft, but I don't see a slam dunk.

Draft saved Draft deleted