1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Music Videos. Still Seriously.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Inspired by the Greatest Music Video thread, I was led to ponder what were some true clunkers in the music video art form. Immediately, I thought of two that incorporated a couple Hollywood heavyweights, but yielded not so good results.

Because these 4 minute wastes of celluloid represent the dregs of meshing music with video images, I feel compelled not to provide an associated link, so as to limit the amount of pain and suffering they can cause. For those who wish to add to this thread, and if you have a sadistic bent, you're welcome to share the misery via a link.

Paul Simon, "You Can Call Me, Al". Did Chevy Chase just happen to stumble across the soundstage when this was being shot? Or was he picking Simon up for a golf game and just wanted to get the hell out of there?

Bobby McFerrin, "Don't Worry, Be Happy". The all time winner (looser?) in terms of worst song ever (if you can even call it a song--the Gregorians used to call that a chant) and then topping (bottoming) that with worst song/video combine. Some find Robin Williams irritating, some like me enjoy his comedy, but his appearance in this garbage was the apex of abrasiveness.

I shudder at the mere thought of these...

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/50589/

:D

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Wow. A thread inspired by a thread inspired by a thread, but is actually a repeat of the first thread. Like that scene from Citizen Kane when CFK walks in front of that mirrored wall.

Rosebud, indeed. :D

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

This was actually considered of the most innovative at the time, and was done because Simon was unhappy with the original cut of the video.

Chase was a huge fan, so they set it up for a quick shoot in New York after Simon appeared on SNL. Chase was no longer on the show, but Lorne Michaels hooked his friends up.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

damn!

So, best equals worst. Well, it is in blue font...

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I remember hearing some story that Simon was displeased with it because the song had some serious message to it and Chase screwed everything up.

Draft saved Draft deleted