1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Movie You Ever Paid to See

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by garrow, Dec 23, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Forces of Nature really was shit.

We might need a separate category for stuff we've had to pay to see for the sake of our children. I was forgetting those.

Everyone's Hero was truly awful. It was my daughter's first movie in a theater. She was only three, but we thought she would be fine going with me, her older cousins, and my brother-in-law. First, she got scared by the theater, and I thought we might have to leave before her cousins finally coaxed her to a seat. She spent maybe 30 minutes total in that seat. The rest of the time, the three cousins were either taking bathroom trips or running around the theater. The movie was crap, so nobody seemed to care. I certainly didn't mind taking Little OOP for a bathroom break.

The other awful one we saw for her was Gulliver's Travels with Jack Black. Wow, was that awful. Apparently, the second half of the movie was even worse than the part we saw, but there was a fire alarm in the building. By unanimous agreement, we all left rather than wait to get back in. By this time, my daughter was seven, old enough to recognize when a movie is complete shit.

I will leave out all the straight-to-video princess movie crapola that we bought when she was little.

OscarMadison and Roscablo like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Titanic is a masterpiece the first time you watch it.

Just don't watch it again. I clicked out after a half hour or so.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe it was intentional. The Phantom Menace had promotional tie-ins with Pepsi, not Coke. (My wife was working in marketing for Pepsi at the time.)

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

My wife was the same way regarding Titanic. We lived in that small town in the U.P. I mentioned earlier in the thread, so it took a long time for them to bring that blockbuster to the local theater. The movie couldn't possibly live up to the hype and anticipation, and I remember my wife being ticked off by the ending.

On the other hand, I got to see a good bit of Kate Winslet ... ;)

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I've never seen Titanic and I refuse to. It came out when I was in middle school and all the girls were fawning over DiCrappio to the point I nearly got my ass kicked when a few of them thought I questioned his sexuality. Mind you I didn't but the mere thought of it got me slapped and I booked it before anything else happened.

6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I honestly don't mind it too much, certainly not the hate my wife has. All the award noms were a bit much and a result of its ridiculous popularity, although it helped springboard a couple of really good actors. There is some questionable dialog. It looked good, especially for 1997. Think it actually handled the sinking pretty well. But it's way too long. Cut out all the present day stuff and it would be much better.

Wenders likes this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can't believe they let the ship sink, again! I mean, Roy Hobbs homered and lived happily ever after, not whiffing like in the book.

I Should Coco likes this.
  8. Songbird

Kate Winslet is much better atop the washing machine in Little Children ...

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I can't even remember the name of the movie. It was an animated film, set in olden times. One wandering group encounters another and instead of fighting, they play a game of soccer to settle their differences. Something like that. Truly awful.

We had an expiring Movie Pass, so we wanted to use it. It happened to be the day Black Panther opened. We went to the theater NOT intending to see Black Panther, but this other movie. The huge crowds for Black Panther crashed Movie Pass. So we paid to get in and went through the process of trying to get reimbursed by Movie Pass. Failure.

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Inception.

God, I hate that film.

11. Songbird

Piece of shit flick.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

She and Leo were both better in Revolutionary Road than Titanic. Not even close.

Plus, the neighbor guy who gets to hook up with Kate Winslet's character in the parking lot: Definition of "outkicking your coverage."

lakefront likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted