1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Movie Sequels/Trilogies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jul 31, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are correct. In Highlander II: The Quickening, they were aliens. It was all confusing and stupid.

Basically, the television series ignores the bit about Connor McLeod winning the prize in the original, but it does reference him killing the Kurgan. If I remember correctly, Connor is in the pilot and then doesn't show up again until Endgame, which really did seem like a very long episode of the series.

I watched The Source all the way through and I still have no idea what the hell was going on. No idea where they could have gone from there, but it completely lost everything that made the first movie and the series fun.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Jaws 2' and 'Jaws 3D' are notably bad, and even worse because of the greatness of the original.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Who could forget Jerry Reed trying to grow a Burt Reynolds mustache?

[​IMG]

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You are correct. Connor is in the pilot, then is referenced a few times but never comes back until the movie. Maybe Christopher Lambert got wind of the plot for "The Source" and told the producers, "Ummm ... yeah ... Connor really needs to die in this one."
    The series as a whole was solid. Certainly one of the better efforts from the golden age of syndicated programs. At least until they killed Richie and Duncan started fighting Zoroastrian demons. Even for a show built around the premise of centuries-old immortals sword fighting and chopping each other's heads off, that was a little weird.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

True, but I'd argue Rambo II is a classic in its own way. It influenced a generation of action movies and made a much deeper impact culturally than the first one ever did.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

This atrocity appeared on my tv guide channel last night at midnight.

[​IMG]

"While he's deep undercover in New York, DEA agent Shane Tanner, the son of a legendary cooler named Dalton, learns that his uncle Nate Tanner got beat up by a group of men because he doesn't want to sell the Black Pelican, his bar in Tyree, Louisiana."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Who can forget Jerry Reed on Scooby Do singing 'Little Mary Sunshine'?

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Is it fair to even include the glut of 1980s slasher movies in this discussion? Bringing up some of the Friday the 13th sequels (or even the first four movies as a series, which actually have some continuity and tell one story) is like sending a 'roided up Barry Bonds into a little league game.

Even taking the lower quality into account, though, "Halloween 3" deserves a special mention -- and a special place in sequel infamy/hell. We went from an iconic horror movie, to a pretty good sequel, to ... evil Celtic druids using a toy company to mass produce Halloween masks that magically produce bugs that eat the wearer alive? Oh, and the Druids are using killer cyborgs that are identical to the people they kill to keep the secret. And the hero of the movie is a borderline alcoholic who ends up sleeping with one of the cyborgs.
    WTF?
    The only saving grace of the movie, besides it being so awful and incomprehensible that it's almost so bad it's good, is the catchy Silver Shamrock jingle.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I hated that storyline. Wasn't a fan of a bad quickening turning Duncan evil, either.

It reminds me of the talk about the movie versions of The Hulk and why the one in The Avengers was better than the two movies. These are power fantasies and it helps if the character enjoys being a hero. The versions of Banner and the Hulk captured that in Avengers, while the movies with Bana and Norton were more angst-ridden.

The Highander TV series worked best when it was fun. Connor had a line about Duncan having all the fun and most of the good women. When the writers of the show remembered that, they did fine. When they got away with it, not so much.

And with that big of geekdom, I realize that I should apologize for the Highlander threadjack.

10. Hamlet II - The Revenge
    Hamlet III - This Time Its Personal

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

How many movies featuring how many sports has Airbud played now?

12. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Police Academy 4-6

Draft saved Draft deleted