1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Movie Sequel Ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Mar 3, 2020.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

"I don't like sand . . . not like you."

That's some cornball writing no matter how you slice it.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Hold me, like you did by the lake on Naboo ...

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Say one thing for Star Wars, can you imagine how truly awful it could have been if they had songs? Celine Dion warbling about the wind on Tattoine and the moons of Endor.

"He's my father, but he's my enemeeeeeey!
    How I hate him, but always know he'll be a part me!
    "You may call him Darth Vader if you want - but to me he'll always be dad!"

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He said, "Not like here...," but he was clearly describing her as much as he was describing Naboo. I may have blocked out some of the awfulness.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

There was so much badness.

I mean, compare the droid factory scene in AoTC to the car factory scene in Minority Report- films made in the same year.

One scene is orchestrated by a guy at the peak of his powers, the other is crap.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. It really was awful.

One thing that always bothered me is they set up ways Yoda should have suspected trouble with Anakin in that movie, but never really followed up on it.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Superman II" has now has seven suck-ass sequels in a row stretching over 40 years.

Superman III
    Supergirl
    Superman IV
    Superman Returns
    Man of Steel
    Batman v. Superman
    Justice League

Suck, suck, suck, suck, suck, suck and suck.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It makes sense now. The way Natalie Portman seemed checked out of that role, it was because her character literally had sand in her vagina.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

Have you ever seen a lead mail it in to that extent in a highly anticipated movie? I sure as hell haven't.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

I was baked out of my mind the first time I saw this in the theater, but take a look at this dreck once again with an eagle eye:

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I used to pay much more attention to
    this stuff, but I remember reading that Portman had been fine during most of the filming of TPM (during which she was mostly 16-17), grew quite a tremendous attitude during AOTC, and by the time of filming of ROTS, became insufferable enough that Lucas thought long and hard about recasting her or rewriting the script to cut her scenes down to an absolute minimum.
    And the character of Padme went from a dynamic action leader in the first movie to a shriveling damsel in distress in the third, whose heroic farewell to the series was to "die of a broken heart."

Lucas of course bears plenty of blame for the turgid dialogue, but Portman brought the whole series down with her steadily deteriorating performance.
    Since the release of ROTS, Portman has mostly sniffed and snipped about the horrible damage Star Wars did to her career.

I suppose maybe signing on to the series may have sounded like a great idea when she was 14-15 but turned out to be a lot less fun 10 years later.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Always thought what an amazing job they did in casting the Harry Potter leads. Radcliffe was 11 when he auditioned - the entire franchise was on his shoulders, and those of Hermoine and Ron. How do you project the growth of kids as actors and not worry that puberty won't be kind to them. Honorable mention goes to Game of Thrones, Arya Stark especially.

Draft saved Draft deleted