1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Movie Sequel Ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Mar 3, 2020.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Holiday edition:

The Home Alone sequels
    The Santa Clause sequels

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

is it this?

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I watched Bad News Bears: Breaking Training last night.
    Amazed by the classism sprinkled all throughout the film- things that scud over a 10-year-old kid's head.
    Our society was just as stratified in 1977 as it is today. I just didn't notice it.
    It would be nice to gaze upon something with great purpose the way Kelly Leak does the Astrodome at daybreak.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Wayne's World 2 and even Airplane 2 have soft spots in my heart, probably because I saw them as a teenager. They're clearly not as good as the originals, but they both have enough stupid gags that they're still enjoyable to me. Airplane 2 has no contribution from the original writers, so it's amazing it is even slightly funny - the last 10 minutes with Shatner always crack me up.

In contrast - Caddyshack 2 was so awful, I remember two attempts at watching it on Comedy Central that caused me to find something else after 5 to 10 minutes. Star Wars edition, Attack of the Clones was a slog and a chore at the time, and I think it is still regarded as the worst one.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The relationship between Anakin and Padme, which mostly plays out in Attack of the Clones, is the worst part of the prequels. I like some of the action stuff at the end, but it really is a bad movie. The Phantom Menace isn't much better and perhaps deserves more heat simply because it was the first really bad movie in the series. I always think of the end of the movie Fanboys, which is about a group of fans breaking into Skywalker Ranch in hopes of seeing the first of the prequels ahead of its release. One member of the group is dying and isn't likely to live long enough to see it. He manages to see it, but the rest have to wait for the actual premiere. The movie ends with one of them asking, "What if it sucks?"

Then we all lived the answer to that question.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  7. 3_Octave_Fart

Let's be fair to the movie - the politics is overwrought and the romance is abysmally written. The rest is OK to good.
    Lucas cannot do dialogue. This is evident in all the movies he wrote.

8. outofplace

He particularly struggled with romantic dialogue. That wasn't as noticeable in the original trilogy because Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher made it work in a way that Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman couldn't.

Also, the middle movie in both trilogies was the one in which the romantic subplot developed the most. In the original trilogy, that meant The Empire Strikes Back, which had the advantage of being the one of those movies Lucas didn't direct.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

I'm reminded of something Ford either said directly to Lucas or in hindsight: "You can write this shit but you sure as hell can't say it."

"You're not like sand" --> maybe the worst piece of romantic dialogue ever written in a movie where the love story needs to be taken seriously.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I also think that the prequel movies were probably miscast a bit - Like, plenty of serious, legitimate actors in them. Ford is obviously a very good to great actor, but its not like Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee and Hamill were winning Oscars. A healthy amount of hamminess plays well in S'Wars, which is probably why Christopher Lee, Ian McDiarmid and Sam Jackson are the best parts of the prequels.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

Greenwell-
    One of the problems with casting Natalie Portman is she tends to skate if she feels the material is beneath her.
    Nice to look at, big deal. Act like you want to be in the movie or take a hike.
    Her acting was even more wooden than Jake Lloyd's.

12. outofplace

I don't think he actually said that. He just started rambling about not liking sand and that was supposed to be some deeply intimate moment between the two.

Draft saved Draft deleted