1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst movie endings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by holy bull, Jun 15, 2011.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Worst ending to a movie I've ever seen is War of the Worlds, the Tom Cruise version.

You spend three hours telling me these aliens are going kick our ass and they die because they've got allergies? Are you f*cking kidding me?

I don't give a shit if Moses brought this ending down with the 10 commandments, it sucks balls and no one will ever convince me otherwise.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Independence Day": The scene where the president and the women go out to meet Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in the desert, and Pullman just shakes hands and says, "Not bad, not bad at all."

That's it? These guys go into outer space, invade an alien ship, save the fucking world, and all the President of the United States can say is ... "Not bad?" Ugh.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's straight out of the book, but that's not why that ending sucks beyond belief.

It sucks because his dipshit teenaged son (or whatever) charges into an alien-controlled front line in the middle of the movie, is presumed to be dead for the remainder of the film, then miraculously shows up at his mother's door to greet Tom Cruise at the end, without explanation, despite the fact the aliens were world-class ass-kickers until the viruses got them.

Bullfuckingshit, Spielberg. That is his syrupy-ending, audience intelligence-insulting jump-the-shark moment.

I was actually pissed off by it.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I knew someone would bring up the "The aliens got killed by Earth diseases" War of the Worlds ending as being stupid. Can't say I'm shocked it's schieza. A few of my co-workers at the time said the same thing. They hadn't read the book either.

Bubbler nails it here. That ending was the nadir of Spielberg's constant need to tie everything up with a neat little bow. It's pretty much infested everything he's done since just after Schindler's List.

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I hereby nominate not one, but two movies called "The Winning Season" both of which were horrible movies. Both of which had endings that made things even worse.
    Winning Season 1- A movie about a kid that travels back in time to the 1909 World Series and becomes friends with Honus Wagner. The ending has Ty Cobb blackmailing the kid to drive Wagner out to the countryside before game 7 and leave him there, and the kid feels guilty about it so he puts on Wagner's jersey and takes his position at shortstop for the top of the first. (it's never explained why the Pirates would be in the field for the top half of an inning when the game was in Detroit). Then Wagner comes back and saves the day, the kid goes back to the future, and finds out that the nice older woman he was talking to at the beginning is Wagner's girlfriend. Just really bad all around. (But come on, the visiting team in the field in the top of an inning? That's got to be the worst part.)
    Winning Season 2- Sam Rockwell as a high school basketball coach in Indiana. The ending has him getting fired for a DUI right before sectional so he rides his bike 20 miles to the game and dresses up as the mascot to sneak in and coach the team on the sly. Plus it's a sectional game with about 50 people in the stands which is about as likely in Indiana as traveling back in time to the 1909 World Series.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually, the Dante-getting-shot ending of "Clerks" was supposedly Smith's original ending. He was supposedly talked out of it at virtually the last minute.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Seconded. I fucking hate everything about that movie.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The original ending of True Romance, the way Tarantino wrote it, was that Christian Slater's character died and Patricia Arquette drove off with all the money...

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Dreadful tripe.

Even Our Lady should be embarassed.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It can be a dynamite comedic device.

Played straight, it's now beyond cliche.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I wrote that Godfather Part II had the best ending.

Only fitting that Godfather Part Fredo III has the worst.

And I'm not talking about the scene at the Opera House steps. I'm talking about the scene where Michael has become a vagrant in rural Italy and just keels over. Not sure why they felt the need to show it. Michael, in essence if not in life, died on those Opera House steps.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As I said earlier in the thread, the ending sucks in pretty much every sports movie — other than The Bad News Bears and a few other notable exceptions, like North Dallas Forty and Bull Durham.

Draft saved Draft deleted