1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst movie endings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by holy bull, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember as Pitt shot Spacey, one of my buddies who was with me at the movie whispered "Wrath" under his breath as he was shaking his head in disbelief.

I also remember the Morgan Freeman quote that ended the movie...

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part."

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

that's funny, 'cause i really consider the last line being, 'whatever he needs' from freeman as pitt is driven off in the back seat of a squad car. i'm not big on voiceover endings.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Michael Bay owns this category:
    Agent Paxton: Congratulations, Dr. Goodspeed. You did it.
    Dr. Stanley Goodspeed: Thank you, sir.
    Agent Paxton: You know, for a while there, I didn't think you were going to make it. Well done, son. So where's Mason?
    Dr. Stanley Goodspeed: Vaporized. Blown out to sea.
    Agent Paxton: Blown out to sea, huh?
    Dr. Stanley Goodspeed: Yeah.
    Agent Paxton: [smiles] Poor bastard."

"Miss Stamper? Colonel Willie Sharp, United States Airforce, ma'am. Requesting permission to shake the hand of the daughter of the bravest man I've ever met. "

Rafe: Danny, you can't die. You can't die. You know why? 'Cause you're gonna be a father. You're gonna be a daddy. I wasn't supposed to tell you. You're gonna be a father.
    Danny: No, you are.

4. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Agree 100% with Chef on No Country for Old Men.

I immediately thought of that M. Night Shyamalongadingdong movie with Mark Wahlberg and the killer trees. That was just a stupid, awful ending. Acting was atrocious, too.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Village was a bit of a letdown as well. I was interested until the twist - then I wasn't.

All of M. Night's movies would work just as well without a twist - his twists usually demolish the compelling relationships between characters built up over the previous 90 minutes and the viewer is just left with a "huh?!"

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That's the one where Haley Joel Osment died for your sins, right? Yeah, no thanks.

The worst is easy for me: "Falling Down" with Michael Douglas. For 3/4 of the movie he's an ordinary guy who snaps at all the indignities and assholes he deals with in everyday life, and he absolutely gets you rooting for him. Then at the end they say "well, he's had really bad personal problems and his marriage fell apart and he's mentally unstable, and he's just generally a horrible, dangerous man." Just incredibly chickenshit filmmaking.

7. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Think you're thinking of The Departed, maybe. And yeah it was a total shock, everybody getting shot up, but I actually liked it. It was different. I dug it.

8. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Yeah. Those were both amazingly bad.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I can't think of a nominee, but just an FYI that American Graffitti used the "what happened to ..." before Animal House.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Yeah, I wasn't assigning "worst" on terms of bad movie ending, but the disturbing part.
    I've actually only seen it once because it was disturbing to me. My wife was watching it not that long ago, and I just flatly told her "turn that shit off, I don't want to see it."
    I honestly don't know why it bothers me so much more than any other countless movies or even the nightly news, but it does.

11. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

One of the alternate endings to Clerks, Dante got held up and shot. Some here would probably cheer ...
    Guess it would've saved me from having to sit through Clerks 2.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Rudy.
    Do you have to ask?

Draft saved Draft deleted