1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst movie endings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by holy bull, Jun 15, 2011.

1. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I figure this will be a shorty compared to "Best," but in the spirit of balance, I submit:

"The Natural"

If you had read the book, you were booing and cussing this Hollywoodized pandering bullshit ending.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

In that vein, The Firm, all of it, sucked.

The way Hilary Swank was injured in Million Dollar Baby never sat well. Same goes for Meg Ryan's character in that City of Angels flick. Not saying she deserved to die... but anybody stupid enough to ride a bike smack into a Mack Truck because they're not looking is doing us all a service, in a Darwinian sort of way.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In many ways "The Right Stuff" ending mirrored the book. Both ridiculously abrupt. He intended to do a book on the whole space program, but the Mercury stuff was so long he just cut it off there.

"Oh, it's already 368 pages? Gordon Cooper flew. OK, I guess I'm done."

"Oh, it's already three hours long? Gordon Cooper flew. OK, I guess I'm done."

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

On a more low-key level. "Sideout." Love beach volleyball, LOVE Courtney Thorne-Smith. Kathy Ireland is in the movie (though never in a swimsuit).
    Even the volleyball was pretty good, despite Stoklos being a dickhead throughout the movie.
    But to have the match's crucial point scored on an illegal hit was very deflating.
    The first time I saw it, I shouted at the screen, "Who were the fucking technical directors?"

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Also in a perfect world, Necessary Roughness would've ended with Kathy Ireland winning the game against Kansas and then kicking every beaker in the nuts.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

No country for old men. The movie builds up to an ending that never comes and it just sort of ends. I loved the movie until the very end where I was left saying WTF? Where's the rest of it?

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Any sports movie other than The Bad News Bears.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Straight out of the book.

And I mentioned this on the original "No Country" thread, but I had a bigger problem with Josh Brolin's character dying "off-screen" than I did with the ending.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Straight out of the book doesn't make it good. I hate that argument.

Brolin's character dying offscreen was annoying, but not nearly as annoying as the fact that he wasn't killed by Chigurr, who's supposed to be an unstoppable assassin. Instead a bunch of coked out Mexicans who have almost no other relevance to the film get him? Awful.

Awful movie.

I'll cast a vote for "Million Dollar Baby." Eastwood spends the entire movie convincing us this character is someone who doesn't give up for anything and then she, well, gives up. Totally against the character that was developed.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

For the life of me I can't remember the name of it, but it had Jack Nicholson and Mark Wahlberg and it involved cops and mafia and such, and in the end basically everyone in the movie dies. It was the biggest cop-out ending I've ever seen. Like the writers couldn't figure out how to wrap it up when they go to the end, so they just said "F- it, let's just kill them all." Great movie up until about those final 10 minutes, when it becomes a POS movie.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

All the President's Men.

Love the film, but the ending was like, "What? That's it? WTF?!"

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I hate pretty much any movie ending that includes a "big speech in a crowded room." Patch Adams, Scent of a Woman, Legally Blonde etc.

I also don't like the cliche'd "whatever happened to.." epilogue-type stuff pioneered by Animal House (good)

Draft saved Draft deleted