1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst/Most Crooked Refs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jun 12, 2008.

?

Who is the worst and/or most crooked referee in sports history?

1. Tim Donaghy (NBA)

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. Don Denkinger (MLB)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Phil Luckett (NFL)

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. Danny Davis (WWE)

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In honor of Tim Donaghy's accusations, who is the most crooked, and/or worst officials in sports history? Does shadiness trump outright incompetence?

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Hue Hollins and Dick Bavetta.......

It is no accident their names have come up all of the sudden in this Donaghy nonsense.

3. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Nick Patrick, WCW

Can't believe Doug Eddings wasnt one of the choices...

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Ted Valentine

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Had to go with who I remember as the original crooked ref. Sumbitch stole the one moment of fame Jumping Jim Brunzell would ever have.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Teddy Long was an evil ref too.

But Davis cost the British Bulldogs the tag team titles to the Hart Foundation.

Other evil refs:

The ref in the final match in 'All the Marbles'.

The ump who throws Ricky Vaughn out of the game in his major league debut. No warning?

7. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Danny Davis (with the help of Jimmy Hart's megaphone) also stole a win from the Bulldogs in a 6-man tag at WrestleMania III. He gets my vote.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Bullshit poll. Angel Hernandez should be representing MLB here, not Denkinger. (unless you're a Cards fanboilooser who's still whining about that World Series call, in which case ... that's just really pathetic. Not the call. Hanging on to the bitterness for over 20 years.)

I don't think Angel Hernandez is crooked, but I'm dead certain he's completely, entirely and wholly incompetent. Could be the worst umpire in MLB history, but that's a lot of history to consider. Clearly the worst umpire currently working.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Hue Motherfucking Hollins

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I know a couple of people here who don't like Karl Hess for men's Atlantic Coast Conference basketball, but he has a long way to go before catching up to the blowhard known as Dick Paparo.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't he the guy who made the phantom foul call on Scottie Pippen against the Knicks in the Eastern Semifinals the year after Jordan retired the first time and also the ridiculous four-point play call in favor of Larry Johnson against the Pacers a few years later?

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Dick Paparo probably gets sick watching NBA games with the number of steps that are allowed.

Draft saved Draft deleted