1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst metro-area traffic

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Oct 15, 2007.

?

Out of the major metro areas in the country, which routinely has the worst traffic?

1. Boston

4 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. NYC/NJ/CT

7 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. Philadelphia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Baltimore-D.C

15 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Atlanta

18 vote(s)
    22.5%
  6. Miami

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  7. Chicago

11 vote(s)
    13.8%
  8. Detroit

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  9. St. Louis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Dallas-Ft. Worth

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  11. San Diego

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  12. Los Angeles

16 vote(s)
    20.0%
  13. San Fran

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  14. Denver

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Seattle

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Four-way tie for first:

Baltimore-D.C - 11 (19.3%)
    Atlanta - 11 (19.3%)
    Chicago - 11 (19.3%)
    Los Angeles - 11 (19.3%)

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I didn't think driving in Chicago was that bad (the one time I did it).

I'm still torn between NYC and DC, though given everything I've heard about LA, I'm not going to pretend they're the same.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Drove through Chicago twice on a cross-country trip on I-90.

Both times I hit traffic -- going westbound at 2 p.m. on a Saturday and going eastbound about 8 p.m. on a Friday.

Each time, traffic blew.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I've driven in all of the areas on the poll. Jacksonville is a breeze compared to them.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

The 91 is a grande clusterfuck between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m. because it's the main thoroughfare between the IE and Orange County. You've got bedroom communities stretching nearly to Palm Springs with people who work in OC on that freeway. And there's no other way in or out, save for those in the Temecula-Lake Elsinore area taking the roller-coaster that is Ortega Highway.

Who REALLY should be drawn and quartered are the Wonderlichs who green-lighted the FastPass system and gave the company running them veto power over adding infrastructure to the freeway, i.e. extra lanes.

In the annals of municipal/county government decisions, this has to rank among the worst.

6. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I once sat in Austin traffic for nearly two hours... on a Friday night... at midnight. That was my first real experience with yucky city traffic.

Y'all have to keep in mind that I learned to drive in a place where a traffic jam means two people sitting at an intersection, each determined to be more polite and let the other go first. I have a pretty low tolerance for bad traffic, I think.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

So can I.

Last year, Little Birdscribe and I went to Niagara Falls on Canada Day. Took us 3 hours to drive the 45 or so miles from Missassagua as apparently all of Ontario had the same idea.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

That might be 1A. Because the 15 and the 10 are looming and giggling as you approach.
    But, No. 1 in the nation. Bar none, is the 101, 405 interchange. Makes grown men aneurysm.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Not true. If 94 is sucking balls, take 41. If it's really sucking balls, take 294.

If you're in, or going to the South Suburbs, I can't help you.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agree on the 15-10 disaster, but the 215-60-91 has been a joke for 30 years.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Probably the worst day of the year to make THAT drive.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Seattle drivers are pretty bad, but the traffic, while not fun, is a piece of cake compared with many places. You're right on about Seattle when it snows -- nothing is more amusing.

Draft saved Draft deleted