1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst metro-area traffic

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Oct 15, 2007.

?

Out of the major metro areas in the country, which routinely has the worst traffic?

1. Boston

4 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. NYC/NJ/CT

7 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. Philadelphia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Baltimore-D.C

15 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Atlanta

18 vote(s)
    22.5%
  6. Miami

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  7. Chicago

11 vote(s)
    13.8%
  8. Detroit

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  9. St. Louis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Dallas-Ft. Worth

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  11. San Diego

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  12. Los Angeles

16 vote(s)
    20.0%
  13. San Fran

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  14. Denver

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Seattle

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

This Atlanta resident votes.......DC.

Only have limited experience with LA, but never felt it was that unbearable. Obviously, the comments from the locals in this thread give a different perspective of pain.

And in Chicago, at least the city is laid out grid-like, so if the expressways are snarled, you can use local streets and have a pretty good idea of how to get where you're going. Unlike Atlanta, who apparently took their road design straight from William Tecumseh Sherman's march to the sea.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Driving into NYC is a piece of cake compared to driving into Toronto.

And Hwy 401 (runs along the top of Toronto) is the busiest highway in North America--and that includes LA. It's a fucking nightmare 24/7.

And getting from Toronto to Niagara Falls on a summer weekend is just plain horrible. Patchs can attest to that.

Edit: And what's with all the friggin' polls? This a new toy or something?

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

JR, my sentiments about Toronto exactly. Another reason why I am anti-Toronto. The highways in Quebec are the worst too. The most confusing thing I ever drove in and I am surprised that I have not gotten into any accidents there. Halifax has the worst rotary that just "so called" got renovated. The Armdale Rotary is the most confusing piece of crap and after the renovations, there is more chaos and confusion like I have never seen before.

On another note, I now see why my professor told me why pollsters are hated so much. And the worst part, he analyzies them and wanted to lure me to work for his polling group. Thank god I never took him up on his offer.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

PY, I'm not jumping on you, here, and I wasn't saying too many polls; I was saying this particular one is needless because the NTSB or the DOT or some other agency does annual studies on this, the results of which probably every paper represented on here has published. Maybe I'll get off my lazy ass and find a link to one. Then again, maybe not. I'm about to be stuck in traffic ...

5. doctor x

doctor x Member

If you go to hell, you have to drive I-4 to get there.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Remind me not to invite you to our next Toronto outing.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Testify, brother. The 401 from the airport to the Hwy. 400 exit is pretty much a parking lot around the clock.

8. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Consider it done! Nothing personal ;) :)

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Sure, Toronto sounds bad, but you're forgetting to factor in the kilometres to miles conversion....

10. doctor x

doctor x Member

Don't presume to rank Jacksonville up (down) with the metro areas, but the monkeys who couldn't write Shakespeare were allowed to design the two miles in each direction within the interchange of I-95 and I-10.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

[​IMG]

(study released less than a month ago)

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Houston. It's worse than a bunch of the cities on that list. Always crowded, always under construction. Lot of idiot drivers.

Draft saved Draft deleted