1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst metro-area traffic

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Oct 15, 2007.

?

Out of the major metro areas in the country, which routinely has the worst traffic?

1. Boston

4 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. NYC/NJ/CT

7 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. Philadelphia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Baltimore-D.C

15 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Atlanta

18 vote(s)
    22.5%
  6. Miami

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  7. Chicago

11 vote(s)
    13.8%
  8. Detroit

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  9. St. Louis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Dallas-Ft. Worth

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  11. San Diego

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  12. Los Angeles

16 vote(s)
    20.0%
  13. San Fran

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  14. Denver

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Seattle

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Seattle's is pretty terrible and is the worst when there is snow, hands down.

I have experienced much worse traffic in the Metroplex than I have in Austin, but maybe I have just been lucky. On the way to an MLS game recently, it took us 2.5 hours to go about 13 miles heading north to Frisco. But I heard they finished the toll road to Frisco, so maybe it isn't as bad now. It sucked when they were building it because you had to drive about 15 miles on access roads and the stop lights just killed traffic.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And the bastard child of a rollercoaster and a clusterfuck that goes by the name of the Mixing Bowl. Coming off the Beltway on the east side, you feel like at the top if you jumped the barrier and went flying, you'd clear Springfield before you landed.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

orlando's pretty much a clusterfuck too... at least compared to st. louis

4. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Drove from Austin to Vermont this summer (and back) via OKC, Nashville, DC, NYC.

Only time I was really anxious was crossing the GWB. Ten lanes merged into one with no warning, and I was certain I was going to be squished.

Austin's a pain, not gonna lie. The lack of a good east/west cross-town is a hassle. That said, I'll take it over DFW any day.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I lived three years in Orlando. It's not the traffic so much -- it's the fucking tourists. They act like they're from a foreign land (a lot of them are).

Red light? Where? Oh well. Island in the middle of a six-lane road? But I needed to turn back there -- I'll just make a U-turn here.

And if the left-turn light turns red, be ready to count at least five cars go through the red light before they stop.

I swear you take your life into your hands.

6. Driving around Baltimore and D.C. can be fun if you know when and where to go. Driving inside the district or anywhere around it at rush hour is time suicide.

I won't go anywhere near NYC at 5 p.m. in my own car. In my experience, I can walk from one end to the city to the other faster than you can drive it.

Atlanta sucks ass but not nearly as bad as the two above.

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Eh, you get used to it. But whoever said it had a point: too many polls. Point taken.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm a traditionalist who only likes to encounter rush hour traffic at rush hour.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

DC and Chicago are fucking horrible.

There is no traffic that's a problem in St. Louis.

10. Wait ... does that mean there won't be a Best Metro-area Traffic thread?

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Sorry to let you down, but that seems to be the case. ;)

12. And that's why I don't use blue font. It's a cheap giggle, but it's a giggle ...

Draft saved Draft deleted