1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst metro-area traffic

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Oct 15, 2007.

?

Out of the major metro areas in the country, which routinely has the worst traffic?

1. Boston

4 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. NYC/NJ/CT

7 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. Philadelphia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Baltimore-D.C

15 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Atlanta

18 vote(s)
    22.5%
  6. Miami

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  7. Chicago

11 vote(s)
    13.8%
  8. Detroit

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  9. St. Louis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Dallas-Ft. Worth

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  11. San Diego

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  12. Los Angeles

16 vote(s)
    20.0%
  13. San Fran

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  14. Denver

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Seattle

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

If you know how to drive, L.A. isn't bad. Once you get outside of downtown, most of the time you can cruise. But you had better be willing to move your ass.

I grew up driving SoCal, so it didn't bother me. But driving through Dallas scared the shit out of me.

Denver was only bad when I missed the exit to I-70. Jesus, don't get off downtown while towing a minivan on the back of a Ryder truck.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Well, I really don't have anything else to do. ...

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

4-0-5 in Los Angeles. Enough said.

4. I haven't been to a lot of places, but Dallas, especially around 635, is worse than having your mother-in-law live with you. Texas drivers are psychotic and there's never a day except Sunday that 635 isn't stalled because some fool either ran into the wall or someone else.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Austin is No. 1 going away.

Interstate 35 is the city's Main Street and there is no beltway other than the new toll road which nobody uses. At least in Dallas, you can creep along as long as there aren't any wrecks. Austin has tripled in population the last 20 years and I-35 still only has four lanes each way through the city.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The gridlock on the DC Beltway stunned me - and I used to do Atlanta driving on a regular basis.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Richmond is 2 hours south of DC, with at least one good-sized city (Fredericksburg) in between. Hardly the "same" migraine.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Can't argue with that.

9. The pollster is getting drilled on this one, but it’s not a bad question.

My two cents: Atlanta has the worst traffic. But for some reason I dread driving in Boston the most, more so because of super-aggressive drivers. I rarely have a good experience driving there.

10. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

People who drive on LA freeways carry guns. Not all of them, but enough to make any trip adventurous. The freeway crash on the I-5 was a nightmare. Took me three hours to get to work, on a Saturday, a trip that usually takes 40 minutes. LA is the worst. No question.

11. Hustle

Hustle Guest

DC has a simple problem: One big river and not enough ways to cross it.

Counting: American Legion Bridge (Beltway on the north), Chain Bridge, Francis Scott Key Bridge, Roosevelt Bridge (I-66), Arlington Memorial, 14th St. Bridge, Woodrow Wilson Bridge (Beltway to the south). Of that, only 66 and 14th St. take you to where most of the government worker bees need to go and are highways.

Oh, and there's a lot of shitty drivers too.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

was on 85 north in gwinnett county once headed to athens -- motherfucker beside me was stopped in traffic and taking a nap. i shit you not. his eyes weren't closed, motherfucker was sleeping. he'd wake up ever five minutes, pull forward about 100 feet and then go back to snoozing. was stupid.

but still not the worst i've been in -- lived just south of tokyo. that's some serious motherfuckin' traffic bitches

Draft saved Draft deleted