1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst lede ever

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Beef03, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Another stringer, covering women's tennis, included the line that one of the participants "grunted like the soundtrack in an X-rated movie."

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Fixed.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Damn, Bob, where were you when we needed you on the desk that day?

4. Saw one in the past year or so that said...

"All Team A had to do was play well enough to win."

Then spun off into mindless drivel about how that team did NOT play well enough to win.

5. Two examples ...

We had a sportswriter on a Division I beat who has since left the business who constantly would write ledes similar to this: "School X dominated School Y xx-x in front of a nationally televised audience."

And we had another one who, after being promoted from preps to assume the previously mentioned writer's beat, was struggling mightily ... bad stories, missing deadlines covering Division I-A football games, missing news, etc. Essentially, after about six games, our editor told him this was the week to nail it or he was going back to preps. Do or die.

Well, he nailed it and was at least sufficient for the rest of the season before also leaving the business the next spring. But, while searching the system for a story he was supposed to have turned in and didn't, I came across a file he had saved on the system. It was about 12 or 13 ledes he hadwritten for his do-or-die game, all beforehand, without any idea how the game would turn out.

And every one sucked.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Great story, Chief. Give the guy credit for trying -- at least in his own feeble way.

I knew a well-traveled freelancer who would steal ledes from the big local paper and change the names and use them in the medium-size paper 60 miles away.

If he though Reporter X had a good lede on a blowout NBA game, he would save it and swap names and maybe and adjective and use it on his high school game.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That is some audience if it deserves to be televised.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I had a reporter at my college paper try to turn in a poem for the lede. I shit you not. I wish I could remember it. The sad thing is, she wrote it with help from one of the top journalism profs at the school. I was a copy editor at the time and I slashed the fuck out of the lede. She was pissed.
    She's since improved. She's a suburban bureau editor at a high profile paper.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. But the lede I was going to use never even made it to print. It's the audacity of the idea that pissed off the editor and made him fire me.

11. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

bump

12. RB John Public could have carried for a lot of yards for Soandso County High, but he drowned during the flood over the summer.

That was the lede. One of the three worst.

Draft saved Draft deleted