1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst lede ever

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Beef03, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

SPUNKTOWN — COCKDIAN Charmions easly werent stopped like Kobe and LeBron and provocked narly plays by beating the other team last night.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Years ago at the bigger paper in a two-paper county.
    Stringer wrote an immortal lead....

"It was a game that could have gone either way and very nearly did."

3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Who was their stringer -- Yogi Berra?

4. busch

busch Member

"The Local College volleyball team played like their evil twins who had never even seen a volleyball in a loss to the not-so-local college on Friday night."

She also put in there that the game was "witnessed by 1,500 pairs of eyes."

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

There is an old Lewis Grizzard story from his days as an editor at the old Atlanta Journal where he supposedly got a prep gamer that started along the lines of "Podunk High's victory over East Podunk Friday was somewhat marred by the death of Coach Joe Cadaver."

Grizzard is said to have circled the led and written in red pen "Somewhat???"

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

God, I wish I could tell mine, but it would out me so bad ....

Needless to say, this lede is legendary at one of my previous stops.

7. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

One from the local decent-sized daily that we particularly enjoyed several years ago in the college newsroom, on a rowing event:

Oh, on the banks of the Podunk River.

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Outside, the skies cried for Mario. (Not Dickie Dunn, but close.)

It's over and to a man they know it. (Written about the Senators before they made a late-season run to make the playoffs for the first time.)

YHS, etc

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What a difference a thread makes!

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

"The Local College Team bombed from outside like US planes over Iraq."

I shit you not.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Presuming this is football, then the use of "somewhat" anywhere in the old Confederacy or Ohio is correct.

12. lono

lono Active Member

"Had the object of the game been water torture, the patient would have already bled to death." — asshat sportswriter driving to describe a game that went to multiple overtimes.

And from the news side:

"Prehaps (sic) the most tragic thing about the death of James Dever was, had it happened an hour earlier, he would still be alive." — douchenozzle news writer's lede about a guy who was killed when a truck ran off the road and through his office one morning.

Draft saved Draft deleted