1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst lede ever, right? No really, it is the worst lede ever.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Hall of Shame.

Halls of fame are for winners.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Or at least their teams were winners.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

#2013MemeOY

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

And for Rollie Fingers.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

As IJAG would say, Jesus H on a stick.

The lede makes me want to vomit, and the tone of the whole article is just seriously off.

Rosie's clearly mentally disturbed. She ought to be institutionalized, not have a columnist job at the Toronto friggin Star!

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Criminy! That is dreadful. Worst I've ever seen. And as DD points out, it makes no sense, and it tells me nothing about what I'm about to read. The Armstrong one was at least slightly funny, but this columnist is horribly out of touch.

7. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

Decades back... A kid starred on a small-school championship basketball team as a junior, then needed a liver transplant due to a congenital disease that kicked in. She went through hell, but was cleared to play midway through senior year. Although Sports had handled her story throughout, now that she was coming back and TV was sniffing around, all of a sudden News side decided to "give this the treatment it deserves" by sending in its star reporter.

I will never forget the tack they took with the lede, paraphrased here:

Jane Smith displayed plenty of guts when she made the winning free throw in Podunk High's state championship victory last March.
    The 17-year-old had a completely different type of guts on display in August as doctors performed her life-saving liver transplant.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's always a clusterfuck when News tries to handle Sports.

Stand back and watch!

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Guy's name is actually "Doodnaught"? As in, "the mall shuddered in fear as the Doodnaughts rode toward the food court." Sorry, yes, terribly inappropriate lede.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Figured the thread title had to be hyperbole. It was not.

How does this columnist still have a job? Especially if it's a pattern.

Horrific, insulting, and, has been pointed out already, doesn't even make sense.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Maybe Rosie thought she should be as funny as her twin sister, Tracey Ullman.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's always nice to write a topic subject here where people look at it before they click and think "Looking forward to this dose of hyperbole" and then they click the link and say "Wow, that really is the worst lede ever. Wow."

Draft saved Draft deleted