1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst lede ever, right? No really, it is the worst lede ever.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jan 18, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Did anyone read this story?

While she was being operated on, by a team of doctors, this guy was sticking his pecker in her mouth?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Well, that's pretty much horrible.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

A prep gamer in the Waukegan News-Sun once began (and I can't remember the teams involved): Podunk was New Orleans to West Podunk's Hurricane Katrina on Friday night ...

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

There was one at my first paper where the just-out-of-college news editor wrote about a fatal car accident involving a child.

I'm not getting it exactly right, because its been many years since it happened, but it was something along the lines of, "Jimmy found out the hard way why it's bad to play in street ..."

Tasteless enough on its own, but also potentially libelous as the story/police report made no mention of anything of the kind.

It was an afternoon paper and I saw it on a proof late the night before. Though I had no supervisory authority to do so, I called the assistant NE over and made him change it, making it plain that his boss and the paper could've been sued for it, whether I was overstating that probability or not.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I did not know this, but have since learned (and our Canadian SJ friends can probably confirm) that shit like this is Rosie DiManno's "thing." She is a terrible writer, and has been writing terribly for years, and frequently gets obsessed with penis allusions and shocking inappropriate "turns of phrase" -- if you can even call it that.

What's absurd is how many levels the lede fails on. It's not only offensive, it's nonsensical. How would this woman "gain" a penis in the way she "lost" a womb? Is the penis in her "slack" mouth in perpetuity? Also, be sure to catch it later in the story where DiManno describes the mom as "attractive."

Good job, Toronto Star, good effort.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

OK, it was a clever fail.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Awful. Just awful.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Without knowing the subject, because I wanted to look at this sentence and didn't check the headline first, I first thought this was going to be about a person who underwent female-to-male sexual assignment surgery.

Then the second sentence made me go back to the first one and ask, "What the fuck?"

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Would be nice to see this lede next:

"Rosie DiManno found out the hard way last week that it doesn't pay to be a dick in print. The Star has fired DiManno and her womb."

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Shameless," said Richard Marx.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm sure someone at some point wrote something for some college newpaper that blows this out of the water, but I doubt anyone with this kind of reach, writing for a seemingly repsectable news organization, has ever sunk this low.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'm sure they have, but this is in the hall of fame. Almost as tasteless as the reason the story was written. Almost.

Draft saved Draft deleted