1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

worst leads you have seen

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackInTheBox, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Didn't realize Tom Wolfe was writing prep gamers these days.

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

[blue] Damn. Who would have thought a football game begins with a kickoff. I never knew![/blue]

3. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

1) Any lede that references Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, yada yada yada ...

2) "Poor (insert name of conference cellar dweller)." Unfortunately, I wrote it when I was a newbie.

3) Paraphrasing Lewis Grizzard from a story submitted to the AJC by a stringer: "Chamblee's thrilling victory on the game's final play was somewhat marred by the death of its coach." The coach had died of a heart attack during the final play.

4. Writer33

Writer33 Member

Hometown won the toss and chose to receive.

5. I saw this once:

"All (college team) had to do was play well enough to win."

Yikes.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

(Just) Call him/her __________. I think everyone's used a variation of that one.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The weather is getting chilly, (hopefully), but there will be plenty of chili at the Stupid City Chili Cookoff this weekend- so I hope your have your spoon handy.

WTF!!!!

I know this is non sports but my editor wrote this one day. Who uses parenthesis in a lede? Who says they hope it gets cold? I for one don't.

I can think about 100 diff ledes that would be better involving warm chili and chilly weather.

8. JackInTheBox

JackInTheBox Member

Actually, it's commonly used as both "lead" or "lede," whichever you prefer. But whatever.

"It was a tale of two halves."......That's funny. I forgot about that one. I probably used that one at some point the past.

9. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I always vote for "Christmas came early ..." or "So-and-so got an early Christmas present ..."
    It's in many papers, every year.
    Agree very much with "Steak" on the Webster's. That's also a staple of really bad oratory, sermons or speeches.

Technically, this wasn't a lede, but while I'm here I have to mention the day I realized I was not cut out for the desk and really needed to get back to writing.
    An excellent high school writer wrote a piece about a kid making a pivotal play, and mentioned early that the kid's teammates were always kidding him about his big ears. Fair enough. Then there was some play-by-play, establishing what the kid did that was so important. Then came time for the transition out of play-by-play and back into a feature on the kid, which was handled in the following manner:
    "But enough of this mumbo-jumbo, let's get back to Jones High's version of 'Dumbo!' ..."
    I just sat there staring at the screen. I wanted to say something to the other people on the rim, but my voice wouldn't work. I think I was making little noises that sounded like "Ack, ack,ack" for several minutes.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

These things need to happen every so often. Gets rid of the bad blood. [/Clemenza]

As for bad ledes, forgot about this one:

"John Smith wasn't supposed to get cancer."

Really? Who was?

11. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

One I've seen far too often:

John Smith picked a good time to break out of his slump.

I asked one reporter why he was ever in a slump if he could just pick the time he wanted to break out of it.

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal."

Good grief. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted