1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

worst judging?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Franklin

Franklin Member

holyfield lost in 84. in 88 a bunch of judges and refs (well over a dozen) were suspended for generally crappy performance--most notably in the roy jones fight. there were all sorts of rumors about fixes, etc.

2. Keystone

Keystone Member

Men's basketball, 72 Olympics

3. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

would leonard-hagler 87 count as a bad decision?

4. boots

boots New Member

That's tops along with the 1972 Olympic basketball game between the USA and Russia.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Whitaker-Chavez, 1993 in San Antonio. As thorough an asskicking as you'll ever see in boxing. A judge from an earlier fight was sitting next to me and said, "Lord, I don't know that Chavez has won a round."
    The call? A draw. So blatant a fuck job that the heavily Hispanic crowd booed like crazy. They knew.
    Sports Illustrated used "robbed" as its cover headline.

6. boots

boots New Member

Yeah, I agree. I was there but to be honest, I wasn't THAT surprised.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not surprised at what? That Whitaker got fucked or that he kicked Chavez' ass?

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's never bothered me for a couple of reasons:

1. The controversial last 3 seconds was preceded by 39 minutes of the most godawful coaching in the annals of basketball.

2. The screwup at the end was more confusion than robbery. Was a timeout called? Was the USSR entitled to one? Did the proper information get relayed to the scorekeeper? Did the button the coaches press to request a timeout work properly? Why did that horn go off prematurely and the clock not reset properly on the USSR's so-called "second" attempt?

3. After all was said and done, the game was still in the USA's hands, and they had a 99 percent chance of winning. They just choked, like Kentucky did against Duke in 1992.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

and I thought this was going to be about the APSE contest or a state journalism association contest. ;D

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We missed an obvious one:

The 2000 presidential election.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Boots,

I remember watching that fight with friends ... after round 12 we were going to bail but I insisted we stick around for the decision. I said that stranger things have happened. Honestly, I thought the Zarate-Pintor thing was worse (same fight but with a knockdown in there, and they didn't call it a draw but a win for the wrong guy). Hagler-Antuofermo I saw as MMH's but then again I gave a guy 9-to-2 on the fight.

YHS, etc

12. boots

boots New Member

Both.

Draft saved Draft deleted