1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst job around the house.....here's mine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

On the rusty stuff, I'd look for signs of real damage. Has a hole rusted through it or is the wooden handle rotted? Toss. Can you scrape a bit of rust off with your nail and see good stuff underneath? Keep and sell.

Easiest thing for you would be to sell them as a lot. Post an ad for something like "$100 for a 27-piece lot of standard household tools, includes 2 shovels, pliers, hammer, set of wrenches, blah blah. Dad was a weekend handyman. Most are useable with a good cleaning." You'll get the garage sale buffs who are always looking for a hidden gem and can toss/resell individually what they don't want.

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

If the wooden handle is rotted, it can be replaced. Most every real hardware store or fleet and farm store has replacement handles.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's easy to remove the rust from shovels. A wire brush, a little elbow grease and, some rust remover.
    In a pinch, use Coca-Cola

Then you get a file and sharpen the digging edge. It's like brand new.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Thank you very much. My dad wasn't into carpentry, really but he could fix pretty much anything. I was after him for years to pare down/clean up, but he never did. My mom pretty much never goes near the garage, so when I come up to visit, I go in and try to clean up. I love organizing things, but this is not my idea of fun. For the first year after he died, I felt like I was throwing away parts of my dad with every rusted nail. Seriously, why do men keep jars of nails around?

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But if these tools are 40, 50, 60 years old, especially if the are for woodworking, do not throw them away. Get an educated opinion on them.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Oh, and JR? You lost me at the elbow grease. My princessy side gets in the way. ;-)

7. 93Devil

Because we are married to women who break things. That was too easy.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

SO never eating anything from 93Devil's kitchen if that's how his family is.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Shovelling the fucking driveway.

10. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I love my cats, seriously I do. But litterbox cleaning is on the top of my list. I need to teach these babies to crap in the toilet, seriously.

11. 93Devil

My bad.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

As a kid, I fucking despised picking the weeds out from our azaleas (which stretched the entire front yard). Absolutely nothing worse, to me. And what bothered me most was that I finally thought I was done with that chore once my brother became old enough to start doing the weeding (I had already graduated to mowing the big lawn we had, which wasn't so bad as long as my portable Discman turned up loud enough so I could hear my headphones over the mower).

But my bro sucked so bad at the weeding -- too lazy to grab the root and yank it out -- that my dad would often make me go back and do it over. Dammit.

Today, I probably despise cleaning the bathroom the most. Which was less of a problem when I was living solo, because nobody ever noticed. Close the door, and the room looks clean, right? ;D

Don't have a yard anymore, but I still hate most yard work -- with the exception of mowing, which I wouldn't mind doing if I could. That's kind of therapeutic, I find, as long as I can hear the music. But any other type of gardening/yard work? Hell fucking no. Absolutely despise it.

- Dishes, I can stand (glad to have a dishwasher now, but not that big a deal. Buy paper plates/bowls if you really hate it. That's what I did for a few years, when I was sans dishwasher.)
    - Laundry's not bad, when I ever get around to doing it (although I, too, never fold afterward. Good shirts and jeans get hung up to dry, T-shirts, socks and the rest stay in the "clean" basket until I wear them, then they go in the "dirty" basket. Easy peasy.)
    - I don't mind mopping every couple of months, since we also have all-tile-floored downstairs (thanks to my girlfriend's gadget fetish, of course, the Swiffer makes it easy. :D)
    - Dusting? Ehh. I don't much notice the dust, I admit. If it bugs me, I know it's time to dust. And then I will.

Just dislike scrubbing the bathroom, really. That was always one of the ones I had to do as a kid, too. Only reason my face should be that close to the toilet/tub/etc. is if I'm sick. (And yes, I will absolutely clean up my own mess, in that case. I don't know how moms can stand to do it. Mine's a saint.)

Draft saved Draft deleted