1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst. Hockey Article. Ever.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Woody Long, Oct 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

http://www.nj.com/times-sports/index.ssf/2012/10/trenton_titans_taking_center_i.html

This is shockingly bad, especially if you know how good the ECHL coverage in the Times was.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Paul Franklin beat you out for a job?

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Job or not, the OP has a point. That's pretty bland coverage.

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Well at least he bookends the horrible lede with a horrible final quote.
    Is this a new team in town? I know it references the team's 13 year history but were they always in Trenton? Because this is the type of crap you churn out to introduce readers to the new league, not preview a team that has been there a while.
    (And for the record, even if this is an intro-to-the-league story, the execution is terrible)

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Don't have much opinion on the article, but these kinds of threads are the worst threads ever. Made quite a bit worse by the number of posts the OP has.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't know if this officially counts as a rule, but:

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Not wild about these threads either... but regardless, I had to bring this up.

It's not called the East Coast Hockey League. It's the ECHL. They dropped the name nine years ago, specifically because they were adding west coast teams.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Looks like it's a stringer.

It amazes me how many people still believe it stands for "East Coast Hockey League."

Back when it was "the Coast," my town had a team. Man, that was some fun hockey. I even have a jersey somewhere. Took road trips to Jacksonville and Birmingham -- good times, even if Jax is a dive. We bought toy guns and played mall tag in Birmingham. Can't imagine that going over well these days.

I remember taking some of the players deep sea fishing in the Gulf. And golfing on Christmas day. (Clearly, I was not in media at that time.) Totally foreign concepts to those Canadians.

My town's team moved a couple years after I did. I have no idea where it eventually wound up. It might have been Gwinnett.

Were the Macon Whoopee in the ECHL, or was that the Southern League?

Minor league hockey is awesome. Juniors, too.

Sorry for the diversion. Small trip down memory lane.

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The (second) Macon Whoopie were in the CHL. I think the Macon team after that in other leagues was the Traxx. There was another Macon Whoopie team in the 70's, IIRC.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Forgot about the CHL.

It amazed me that there were so many leagues in and around Florida.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The only thing I can see him referring to is the fact the Titans were actually owned by the New Jersey Devils and went under the Trenton Devils name before the Devils ceased operation of the franchise a couple years. However the Trenton Titans name returned under new ownership last year, so yeah, the writer seems to be a little behind on things.

12. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Actually having this discussion last night in the office talking about the local team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.