1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst head coach/manager ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3OctaveFart, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hell, he got to the playoffs twice and even won a playoff game. Not Hall of Fame stuff, but others certainly have done worse. In 2006, the team had no offensive line whatsoever and Aaron Brooks at quarterback, who was running for his life everytime he took more than a three-step drop.

It's a cold day in hell when I would defend the qualifications of a black as a head coach, but Lane Kiffin and Tom Cable were worse, IMO.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The "black" part isn't even the stupidest part of your post, Troll Boy.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Self-parody?

4. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

No racism on my thread, even in jest.
    I am a troll and I don't even do that chit.

5. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

J.D. Roberts - New Orleans Saints early 1970s.

In his first game as interim coach in 1970 after being called up from minor league Richmond, Tom Dempsey kicks record 63-yard field goal to beat Lions 19-17. Saints fail to win a game the rest of the season but Dempsey's kick earned Roberts the gig fulltime.

On the sidelines for one game, Roberts turns to Archie Manning and says, ''I don't know who No. 32 is, but he sure is good." The Saints were playing the Buffalo Bills and No. 32 was O.J. Simpson.

Retire the award.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

By win percentage, has to be Red Klotz.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ned Harkness. (Tho Les Steckel is a great pull -- for the rest of the NFC Central)
    http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/22/the-morning-skate-ned-harkness-and-the-fall-of-the-red-wings/
    (Second item)

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Wow. That is hilarious about simpson.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Major college football I'd submit Dan Hawkins at Colorado... NFL I might go with Kotite...

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Harkness was a great college coach, though.

11. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Steckel was a Vietnam colonel.
    He went in with a gung-ho practice regimen and had lost the team by midseason.
    Bud Grant came out of one-year retirement, turned a 3-13 Vikes team to 8-8 and retired again.
    I always appreciated that about Grant - he couldn't stand his work so quickly being turned to shit that he came out of slumber to fix it.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Stan Parrish at 8-49-1 combined at Kansas State and Ball State has to be in the conversation

Draft saved Draft deleted