1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst head coach/manager ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3OctaveFart, Dec 29, 2012.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

A two-sport failure. His baseball team had a beagle at shortstop (who actually was his team's best player) and always lost to a team coached by a girl.

In football, he couldn't even get a reliable holder.

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Worst that actually achieved something significant, when comparing his actual quality to what he managed to achieve?

Barry Switzer.

Worst, as in, "Why do people keep hiring this bozo?"

Eric Mangini.

Worst as in, "How has this individual lasted - or how did this individual last - so long as coach at that place?"

Mike Davis.

Worst as in, "Was never fit to be a head coach, yet here we are . . . AGAIN"?

Joe Bugel.

Worst as in, "That place actually did a search, and this is what they came up with?"

Bob Davie.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Red Klotz

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't understand how you can say that, given his sustained success at Oklahoma.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Good list, but Gerry Faust might give Davie a run for that spot.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, I said that awhile ago about his NFL days, which I still think it's true to a large degree that they didn't get everything they should have. But someone (I think MGee) pointed out that winning is pretty damn hard no matter what, and a coach who puts his ego aside and lets the team run itself and doesn't fuck it all up is in some cases actually doing a pretty good job. Lord knows there are enough tin-hat dictators out there who wouldn't have just let Aikman coach the team to another Super Bowl.

I still think a coach who leaves the sideline to go to the bathroom in the middle of the game belongs toward the end of the list of all-time coaches, but I wouldn't say Switzer was one of the worst.

7. printit

printit Member

Clever answer, but I think MLB actually made him resign. Passed a rule that the owner cannot be the manager.

8. printit

printit Member

Was about to post similar thoughts. The man won a Super Bowl and a lot of regular season games. I get that they were great before him. Rule one of taking over a great team should be "Don't screw stuff up." Amazing how many coaches never get rule one.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not even the worst coach in Raiders history.

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

On Switzer:

I credit much of his sustained success at Oklahoma to the players he managed to get. Just never thought his coaching quality matched that great success.

Although, Lane Kiffin has shown that it takes more than just superior talent, so perhaps I should rethink.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Blue Jays have had a couple of beauties:

Tim Johnson and Buck Martinez.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

By far he is the worst in Raiders history. In 2006 he tried to run an offense that would have looked too conservative in 1976.

That they actually went 12-4 one year in his earlier stint is a testament to just how great Al was at acquiring talent and coaching from behind the scenes.

Draft saved Draft deleted