1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst head coach/manager ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3OctaveFart, Dec 29, 2012.

1. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

I am interested to see what the membership thinks.
    My vote goes to Houston's Bill Peterson in the '70s.
    1-18 career NFL coaching record (.053 win percentage) and a known laughingstock at the time.
    Hard to believe Bill Parcells and Bobby Bowden are part of his coaching tree.

2. greg.zeck

greg.zeck New Member

I grew up a Milwaukee Bucks fan (I don't need your pity) and Larry Krystkowiak was laughably bad, and he still is in the college ranks

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Art Shell. There is no other correct answer.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Phil Handler, who coached the Cardinals for three full seasons in World War II, plus a couple of other years when he was a co-coach. Lifetime record: 4-34-0, for a percentage of .105.

In '44, he co-coached with Walt Kiesling a team combined of the Cardinals and the Steelers, because there weren't enough players because of the war. That team went 0-10. Which wasn't a slump, because the Cards were 0-10 the year before.

The '44 Card-Pitts weren't the only winless team that year. The Brooklyn Tigers also went 0-10, although in seven of those games, they lost by a touchdown or less. Other than their opening game, a 2-point loss to the Rams, who had sat out the previous season, the Card-Pitts' next "closest" loss was by 14 points to the Lions. All of their other losses were by 20 points or more.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Dave Shula.

Mentioning any sport besides football is like picking a non-quarterback to win the Heisman Trophy.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'll see your Art Shell and raise you a Paul Hackett.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Raising with Paul Hackett against Art Shell is trying to bluff a guy off a straight flush when you have two pair.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Fine. I'll throw in Matt Cavanaugh

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Rich Kotite.

Rod Rust.

Les Steckel.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Ted Turner. As owner of the Braves, he coached one game in 1977 and then quit. Career record 0-1
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/managers/turnete99.shtml

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

12. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I'll go along with Rich Kotite

Draft saved Draft deleted