1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Hall of Famers vs. Best Hall of Fame Snubs (MLB)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Hard to score runs if you -- all together now -- Don't. Get. On. Base. Do you dismiss a 100-run season from Rickey Henderson? From Tim Raines? From Dom DiMaggio during the heyday of Ted Williams, Bobby Doerr and Vern Stephens?

And your point about the 12 All-Star berths being irrelevant because of Brett? Boggs started in six -- half -- of those games. Not his fault nobody was in his class.

Was Wade Boggs a better hitter than Ted Williams? Where in my post did I say that? Was he an unlikable player? Undeniably. Was he in the category of Schmidt or Brett? No.

A fraud? Not hardly.

2. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

I love Ventura, but this is just asinine. Boggs kills him in OBP and runs scored. As for that slugging advantage Ventura has? Ventura's career slugging percentage .444 compared to .443 for Boggs

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

think Gwynn was a better comparison. Ichiro is dynamic, electric. Gwynn was faster than he looked but never could just slap or chop the ball to third and beat it out as frequently as Ichiro. plus in the field Gwynn and Boggs were both solid and smart. neither wowed anyone like Ichiro did with his arm, especially for a guy who maybe weighs 170 lbs.

4. cjericho

Biggio will get in when he's eligible.

5. When Roger Clemens was going for his 300th win - he was playing for the Yankees and invited lots of his teammates from Boston to be on hand. Boggs was not one of them even though he played with Clemens in both Boston and New York. Even a fraud like Clemens knew a real fraud when he saw one.

I hope all you people defending Boggs feel good about yourself. Just like the guy who defends NAMBLA's right to advertise on Craigs List.

6. Birdscribe do you really think a 100-run season from Boggs is equal to a 100-run season from Raines or Rickey Henderson? Boggs was slower than Richie Gedman on the basepaths. Rickey and Raines could walk, steal second, steal third and score on a sacrifice fly. Boggs needed to hitters like Jim Rice for him to score. You are talking silly talk.

7. cjericho

100 runs is 100 runs. of course Boggs couldn't walk, steal 2nd and take 3rd on a fly ball. but he was a very solid hitter and solid fielder. you can argue Boggs is among the worst in the 3000 hit club but are you really arguing he's among the worst hall of famers?

8. 100 runs is not 100 runs. That's like arguing any coach who wins an NBA title is the same so that Casey Jones would somehow be equal to Red Auerbach.

People who used to make arguments that Jim Rice benefited from playing in Fenway Park never seemed to make the same arguments in regards to Boggs. That bothers me. It also bothers me that the fact the Red Sox would have been much better off keeping Carney Lansford and trading Boggs instead of vice versa never gets mentioned. How about trading Boggs and keeping Jeff Bagwell who was behind Boggs on the depth chart in the Red Sox organisation. Boggs was a fraud who was focused on himself and this selfishness in a team game was enabled by sportwriters who didn't get it and still don't.

9. cjericho

i did say he wasn't a guy who manufactured runs but it's not really like the coaching comparison. i kind of see Dave Winfield the way you view Boggs. i don't think he would've had 100 rbi every year if he was on the Indians in the 80s but Winfield still was very good. same with Boggs and scoring 100 runs if he was on a Cleveland or Seattle in the 80s. it was a bad move letting Bagwell go, obviously. but Boggs for Lansford is a no brainer. look at 85-89. yeah Lansford had more HR. Boggs blows him away in OPS, it's a joke. plus Boggs was younger and Lansford was often injured.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember Gwynn being a more exciting player than Boggs was.

With Boggs, he was never going to get anything more than a double. It's so funny that his 3000th hit was a HR. I remember once in Oakland, he drilled it into the corner in right field and just stood on second for what seemed like an eternity. Cecil Fielder could have rounded the bases on that hit, but Boggs either just stopped by habit, or the 3rd base coach had such little faith in Boggs' speed that he kept him on second.

The guy had two seasons with more than 10 HR. You almost have to try to have such little power.

All that said, I still think Boggs is very deserving of the HOF and I would take him in a heartbeat over Tony Perez. :D

11. This pissing all over over Wade Boggs is bullshit.
    Boggs should be inducted on his beer drinking alone.
    And the fact he was on Cheers. Where the fuck was Carney Lansford or Dewey Evans? Prolly at Gary's Olde Town Tavern.
    His baseball stats are just gravy.

12. cjericho

did you realize Gwynn had 4 seasons of at least 30 sb, with 56 in 87. i was thinking a bunch of 20 sb seasons maybe a high of 30. he was kind of like Adrian Adonis, blew up to the point of obesity at the end of his career. makes people forget when he was just a bit overweight that he was fast and agile. OK maybe Adrian Adonis was never really in shape.

another note to make Chris L blow a gasket, on baseball reference all time hitters 38. Boggs 39. Gwynn.

Draft saved Draft deleted