1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Hall of Famers vs. Best Hall of Fame Snubs (MLB)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

At the all-star game in Oakland in 1987 they had this hitting for accuracy contest on the day before the game, as sort of an opening act for the HR derby.

They had targets in the field for the players to try to hit.

If memory serves, nobody came even close. Then Boggs came up and just kept banging away on the targets like it was Margo Adams. It was damn impressive to watch.

Not an exciting player, but definitely a great one. I can't believe anyone would question his HOF merits, even though Chris has been doing this for just about a decade.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ichiro could steal bases. If Boggs ever stole a base it was by accident.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Apropos of nothing, but I remember a stat from the mid-to-late 80s that Boggs once went something like a year-and-a-half without popping up to the infield. He would also often go weeks without swinging and missing. The guy had otherworldly bat control and strike zone discipline; he wasn't a mere compiler who played in a great hitter's park.

4. If he was so great why haven't the Red Sox retired his number?

5. If given the choice of a young Boggs or a young Robin Ventura - I'd take Ventura seven days a week. Consider this - Ventura leads the career totals over Boggs in the following categories; HR, RBI, SLG, and Gold Gloves (six to two). Ventura will never get close to the Hall of Fame but for my money he was the better player.

6. Dwight Evans finished with more triples, home runs, RBI, stolen bases and total bases than Wade Boggs. Evans career OPS+ is 127 but if you take way his last two seasons (which were regrettable) then Dewey’s OPS+ is equal to Boggs career OPS+ of 130. Did I mention the fact that Evans had 8 Gold Gloves and is widely regarded as the best defensive right fielder of his generation? Dwight Evans was a much better all-around player than Wade Boggs and yet it is Boggs who has his bust in Cooperstown.

Today is Dewey Evans birthday and I feel bad reminding him that an animal molester like Wade Boggs is in Cooperstown while Evans didn't even get proper consideration. Maybe if Evans had a Barbara Walters interview he would have gotten more votes.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Holy cow. I didn't think it was possible to hate a baseball player so vehemently. Say hi to your sister Margo for us.

8. Wade Boggs didn't molest my sister. He molested my goldfish.

He's a sick bastard.

A sick bald bastard.

9. Of the 5 years he won the batting title only once was he in the top 5 in MVP voting and only once was he even the most valuable player on his own team.

Fraud.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I cannot compete with your passion for this topic. You win.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Except Boggs is, in fact, a member of the Hall of Fame. Which means Chris L loses as he drowns in his own bile and his head goes up in flames.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Reminded me of this:

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted