1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Hall of Famers vs. Best Hall of Fame Snubs (MLB)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Wade Boggs is a fraud. If it wasn't for expansion he never gets to 3,000 hits.

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Bobby Wallace is giggling that it has gone this far without mentioning him as worse than Maranville. I guess there are advantages of not having a name like "rabbit."

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Does expansion also explain the five batting titles? :D

4. Playing at Fenway explains the 5 batting titles. Look up Boggs home/away splits and he becomes nothing special.

5. Mizzougrad96

He might be the most unexciting Hall-of-Famer who I've ever seen play, but I can't imagine arguing that he's undeserving.

6. During their primes - I'm guessing 90% of people would have picked Don Mattingly over Wade Boggs. It was only Boggs being good enough to hang on to get to 3,000 hits that got him into Hall. Meanwhile Donnie Baseball hurts his back and has to watch Mr. Delta Force scam his way into the Hall. No coincidence that Tampa Bay dropped Boggs almost as soon as he reached 3,000 hits.

Fraud.

7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

wow, I have never seen such anti-Boggs sentiment out of anyone not named Margo Adams.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Consider the source.

Boggs hit .369 in Fenway Park.

OK.

He also hit:

.309 in Minnesota.
    .322 in New York.
    .320 in Seattle.
    .323 in Toronto.
    .326 in Anaheim.
    .310 in Texas.
    .331 in Cleveland.
    .317 in Detroit.
    .336 in Kansas City.

9. Mizzougrad96

During their primes, 100 percent would have taken Mattingly over Boggs. During the second decade of their careers, Boggs was a little more productive on the field though... :D

I can't believe I'm defending Boggs because I always hated him as a player. I used to get violent when people would compare him to George Brett, who was my favorite player growing up.

I can't think of a player to compare him to. A HOF-level hitter who really couldn't do much other than hit singles and doubles. He was a very good fielder too.

Who do you compare him to? Gwynn?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The years he won the batting title, his road averages were .321, .322, .356, .312 and .351. Yeah, he sucked.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I was as big a Mattingly fan as anyone when I was a kid, but his prime lasted about 4 1/2 years. Durability is part of the equation.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Ichiro?

Draft saved Draft deleted