1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Hall of Fame ballot ever? Worst Hall of Fame ballot ever.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by secretariat, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Really? Really? Is that what I've been "spouting"? Not "touting" ERA?

No? Really?

Because here is my first and main post on Blyleven:

It comes down to this:

IP: 4,970
    ERA: 3.30

WAR was used as supporting evidence in a second post, just to simplify the comparisons.

But look closely at my language: "It comes down to this."

But I wasn't touting ERA?

I wasn't?

But you go ahead and keep voting because of the way a guy wears his stirrups.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't vote, moron. But you're posting useless sabermasturbation numbers as Hall of Fame evidence.

ERA absolutely is the No. 1 way to judge pitchers.
    WAR is total bullshit invented in somebody's mother's basement.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you don't count costing himself any shred of credibility he had left. Then again, he is a plagiarist and someone who tells 12-year-olds that he can't wait to vote for them for the Hall of Fame. I guess that's replaced "Can you help me find my puppy?" or "Would you like some ice cream? I keep it in the back of my big white van."

He probably has a bunch of other 12-year-olds in a pit in his basement and he's asking them all to put the lotion in the basket.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Again, not that anyone cares, but the kid wasn't 12 when he said he'd vote for him for the Hall of Fame. Go back and read it again.

5. Mizzougrad96

"It puts the lotion on the skin or else Cooperstown you're never in."

"Don't you hurt my dog!!!!"

6. Mizzougrad96

It's funnier if he's 12.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

A Cody Webster reference always deserves to be quoted and acknowledged. Kudos sir.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Cody Webster now. Time ravages all of us. You'll always be pudgy, 12 and headed for the HOF to me, Cody. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Heard the guy who voted for Surhoff being interviewed on MLB Radio when I was in the car going to a mid-afternoon assignment. Even the MLB shills (Casey Stern and Jim Bowden, I think) were reading him the riot act.

10. Mizzougrad96

I don't buy the "He's not hurting anyone." argument.

I've voted for tons of awards or polls and always considered it an honor to do so.

11. Dick Whitman

This is what you said:

"You have not been touting ERA."

But I have.

Provably.

12. Dick Whitman

I know what you're saying, but I just don't agree with the sabermetric sites that use ballots like these as EVIDENCE!!!11!! that the BBWAA does a horseshit job and the system needs to be overhauled.

There are a lot of ballots out there. So there are bound to be weird outliers. Same thing with Heisman voting, for example. But since the sample size is so large, those outliers have negligible effect on the actual election.

Barry Stanton's ballot only proves that Barry Stanton's ballot was idiotic. Not anything about the system as a whole, which the Guys in Mom's Basement (TM) seem to want to insinuate every year.

Draft saved Draft deleted