1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Hall of Fame ballot ever? Worst Hall of Fame ballot ever.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by secretariat, Jan 5, 2011.

1. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Congratulations, Barry Stanton, news editor at ESPN. You win the prize.

The people on Barry's ballot: Jack Morris, Edgar Martinez, Tino Martinez, Don Mattingly and B.J. Surhoff.

Missing from Barry's ballot: Everyone else, including Robby Alomar and Bert Blyleven.
  2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How do I get a ballot? I can do better than that.
  3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is already on the Alomar thread, but maybe this deserves one of its own.

I'm sorry, but if you think BJ Surhoff should be in the HOF, your vote needs to be taken away.
  4. secretariat

Here's some background on Barry and why he might have voted for Surhoff and (Tino) Martinez. It also mentions he was fired from his previous job for plagiarizing a Joe Posnanski column.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

1. Mark Grace
    2. Rick Sutcliffe
    3. Shawon Dunston
    4. Mini Ditka
    5. Fred McGriff
  6. secretariat

You jest, but Mark Grace did have the most hits in the 1990s. Which is just as ludicrous as those who cite Jack Morris and his most wins in the '80s.
  7. Mizzougrad96

You can justify voting for either of those guys before you even consider Surhoff.
  8. Mizzougrad96

The article makes a good point. I know there are a lot of writers who haven't covered a baseball game in ages who have a HOF vote. A few of them are on this board.

To be fair, I'm guessing none of them voted for Tino or BJ.
  9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

People always make a big freaking deal out of these outlier ballots, and want to reform the entire system because of them. Usually, sites like BP and HBT lead the outrage charge.

I have way less of a problem with some random voter who votes for B.J. Surhoff than I do with the fact that 75 percent of voters voted for Andre Dawson and Jim Rice - but not Bert Blyleven.

That's where the outrage and reform should be focused. Not on some random looney ballot with no effect on the outcome.
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Someone was using their Deadspin Headline flash cards today.
  11. Mizzougrad96

Well, that's the thing about borderline players. Some get in, some don't.

I think it's a travesty that Tony Perez is in the hall. Well, 75 percent of voters that year think I'm wrong.

I think Blyleven should be in, but if I had to choose between him and Tim Raines, I'm picking Raines.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's very unfortunate that the Hall of Fame electorate of which I am a member is so limited, because it both overemphasizes the popular significance of its outlier ballors such as this one, and more importantly, because it convinces the millions of baseball fans who are rightly convinced they have as much knowledge about the sport as we voters that the whole process is fraudulent.
    I submit that if voting was open in some way to the public (one man-one vote for adults only, please) the results would be demonstrably more wrongheaded than they are now. I still support letting fans vote, but just on grounds of principle -- it'd be a trainwreck in many ways.
Draft saved Draft deleted