1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst GM in MLB

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 27, 2008.

?

Who is the worst GM in MLB? I'll tell you right now - Ed Wade has passed Jim Bowden in my book.

1. Ed Wade Astros

12 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Jim Bowden Nationals

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. Ken Williams White Sox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ned Colletti Dodgers

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Brian Sabean Giants

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. JP Riccardi Blue Jays

9 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. Wayne Krivsky Reds

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  8. The Ghost of Bill Bavasi

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  9. Omar Minaya Mets

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  10. Mini Ditka

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

oh, cub fans amuse the fuck out of me...

but if you think dusty was krivsky's choice, you have no clue as to what was going on in cincinnati

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Nope, jury's still out on Jonny Boy.

3. I think he knew exactly what he was doing with the Matt Morris trade. I think Littlefield knew he was going to get fired so he pulled the trigger on the Matt Morris as a big "fuck you" on the way out the door.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I agree about the fact that his likely getting fired was the motivation behind it, but I don't think he meant it as a big FU on the way out. Ownership did have to approve the trade.

At that point in the season, the Pirates were a little less than 10 games out if memory serves, and I think Littlefield was operating under the delusion that adding Morris could actually bring the Pirates into the playoff race and save his job. If that's true, it shows just how bad at the job he really was.

5. Looks like a 4-way race. This may be only the semi-final poll.

6. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Jim Bowden not only sucks, he's an asshole to boot.

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Leatherpants !

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Let's remember Randy Smith offered Juan Gonzalez over $100 MILLION. Considering that was almost a decade ago, that's got to be close to $200M in today's money. The man only traded with two other teams (Astros, Padres). When enough writers complained that he was asleep at the wheel, he'd go out and show him that the Tigers were active by trading for Brad Ausmus.

This is the man who built the worst non-expansion team in major league history, the '03 Tigers.

And I can't bash Neal Huntington. We're an Ogden paper, which means he's a fellow employee.

9. Jeff Wallner

Jeff Wallner Member

Hamilton's having a sensational season, thus far. But, young pitching is at a premium. Not sure if agreeing to trade a quality young arm like Volquez will be a job saver in the long run.

By the way, Wayne Krivsky is no longer the GM of the Reds. It's Walt Jocketty.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

It would be Bavasi, but he's gone, doesn't belong on the list. Minaya is an interesting choice: no credit for giving an extra year for Pedro, Beltran, Wagner. Colon for Sizemore, Phillips & Lee is the worst trade of my lifetime. I thought that the Bannister Burgos trade was good at the time, we were both wrong. Gave Heath Bell away for nothing. No excuse for not having a backup 1b this year. I know everyone loves the Schneider / Church deal, but they are giving away outs with Schneider and We can't judge it until we see what young Lastings becomes. The Castillo contract was the worst of the off-season. How much rope does he get for the Maine & Perez deals?

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Give me the choice of a stud outfielder and a stud starting pitcher, I'll take the pitcher every time. He plays fewer innings, but he has a MUCH bigger role in those innings. I don't even understand the other side of that argument.

12. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

That he plays significantly fewer innings I think pretty much sums up the argument.

Draft saved Draft deleted