1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst GM in MLB

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 27, 2008.

?

Who is the worst GM in MLB? I'll tell you right now - Ed Wade has passed Jim Bowden in my book.

1. Ed Wade Astros

12 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Jim Bowden Nationals

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. Ken Williams White Sox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ned Colletti Dodgers

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Brian Sabean Giants

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. JP Riccardi Blue Jays

9 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. Wayne Krivsky Reds

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  8. The Ghost of Bill Bavasi

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  9. Omar Minaya Mets

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  10. Mini Ditka

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

He drafted his son about 15 rounds too early, but other than that, he's done a fine job.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Even though he's no longer a GM I voted for Wayne Krivsky simply because he was dumb enough to hire Dusty after he proved what a complete fucking idiot he was in Chicago.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

David Littlefield laughs at your nomination.

I'll take Dodger Ned, if only for the Juan Pierre contact.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

All you need is the Matt Morris trade - let alone the rest of his body of work - to see he's one of the all-time worst.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. spnited

spnited Active Member

And the team with the only $200 million+ payroll in baseball has won exactly what in the Brian Cashman era?

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Agreed. Given that he did assemble a World Series-winning team, he probably shouldn't be on this list.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

As a guy with a history of Gold Gloves and 30-plus homer seasons, coming off a bad year at the age of 31, likely with something to prove?

Sure, the salary is high (welcome to baseball), but you would make the logical guess that a guy like that would get himself in shape for the duration of the two-year contract, knowing that if he doesn't, that would be his last big deal.

It was a risk worth taking. And that bastard came to camp 30 pounds overweight, to play the one position on the field where if you do not have an athlete, you are finished.

You mentioned Kemp and Ethier . . . they can only man two of the outfield spots. But hey, Andruw Jones didn't represent a potential upgrade over that game-breaker Juan Pierre, right?

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, Piotr, considering Andruw didn't have any other serious offers, was the "risK' really worth $18 million per year?
    The idea of signing him might not have ben bad; the contract is an abomination.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Agreed on the contract.

Colletti has been like Kevin Malone as a Dodgers GM. "What? I have all this money to play with?!?!? COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

They overspend on just about every signing.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Actually, when the Angels blew away the Royals five-year, $70 million offer to Torii Hunter at the last second, the Royals moved on to Andruw Jones. They offered him something in the ballpark of what the Dodgers gave him, though maybe closer to $15 million for two seasons, if I remember right.

When that didn't happen, the Royals moved on to Jose Guillen at three years, $36 million.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

look at all the brilliant moves he's made. Kevin Brown, Carl Pavano, Kei Igawa, Jose Contreras, Giami (even though that was probably more of a Steinbrenner move), declining the option on Jon Lieber--need I go on? But he has a 200-million dollar payroll to hide the mistakes and sign the big player.

Draft saved Draft deleted