1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst GM in MLB

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 27, 2008.

?

Who is the worst GM in MLB? I'll tell you right now - Ed Wade has passed Jim Bowden in my book.

1. Ed Wade Astros

12 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Jim Bowden Nationals

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. Ken Williams White Sox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ned Colletti Dodgers

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Brian Sabean Giants

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. JP Riccardi Blue Jays

9 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. Wayne Krivsky Reds

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  8. The Ghost of Bill Bavasi

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  9. Omar Minaya Mets

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  10. Mini Ditka

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Your standards are knowing what I'm talking about? What are you some sort of stalker? Every breath I take? Every move I make type of deal?

Knicksfan? Sting?

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yet pitching is tougher to find

i'd think this is one of the rare high-profile trades that right now (and i'd really stress right now) both teams would do again in a heartbeat. if that's the case, don't both teams win? (well, unless you're talking about the reds -- they don't win often)

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I think it's Minaya (ANYONE can just go out and sign th biggest name free agents; it takes a quality GM to actually assess chemistry and "good fits"), but Ned Colletti's inclusion on the list dealighted me to no end.

Much of the LA media remains in "Ned is great!!!" mode because they hated DePodesta so much. And he took a couple of risks that made sense at the time (Andruw Jones, Jason Schmidt), and they simply have not panned out.

4. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

It's one of those trades where both teams could have used the person they traded. The Reds would be better off with a bat in the middle of their lineup, and the Rangers would be better off with a stud pitcher. But neither team was better off with the player they had....

In the long run, I'd bet money on Hamilton being the better player.... Assuming he doesn't find a vial in Texas.

5. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

How did Jones make sense? I mean... Any sense at all?

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Is it too late to nominate Neal Huntington as he no doubt will soon begin to steer the Pirates in the same direction as Cam Bonifay and David Littlefield took them......

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought two years was a fairly safe offer. Best-case scenario is he plays himself into a longer, more lucrative deal elsewhere. Worst-case scenario is the Dodgers are done with him at the end of 2009.

Of course, him showing up at 550 lbs and getting placed on the DL due to general suckiness is worse than the worst-case scenario. But still, I'd rather have Andruw Jones than Barry Zito, b/c a.) there's a chance the Dodgers could trade him to someone willing to take a chance over the winter and b.) well, if not, he's gone in a year-and-a-half anyway.

8. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier were likely to have better seasons than Jones this year. It just seemed kind of redundant to bring in Jones when you had Kemp and Ethier in the fold.

But LA can afford to blow $20 million (or whatever ungodly contract it was). Just like NY can blow whatever the fuck the spent on Kei Igawa (and Boston on Julio Lugo).

And it's why the Rockies are fucked because they blew money on Helton. Sometimes I hate baseball.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Minaya took over a team that was 20 games under in 2004, and two years later they were Game 7 of the NLCS. You can criticize him for what's happened since then, but the Mets haven't gone in the toilet like, say the Mariners. Minaya's made more bad moves than good ones lately, but given the Mets' record since he took over, to say he's the worst GM out there is just absurd.

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Can I nominate Randy Smith in the throwback worst GM category?

11. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Clearly, you ignored one obvious candidate - Jon Daniels of Texas.

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Explain in detail how Williams could be on that list. Run down his trades and signings and you'll find way, way more hits than misses...

Draft saved Draft deleted