1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst GM in MLB

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 27, 2008.

?

Who is the worst GM in MLB? I'll tell you right now - Ed Wade has passed Jim Bowden in my book.

1. Ed Wade Astros

12 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Jim Bowden Nationals

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. Ken Williams White Sox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ned Colletti Dodgers

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Brian Sabean Giants

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. JP Riccardi Blue Jays

9 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. Wayne Krivsky Reds

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  8. The Ghost of Bill Bavasi

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  9. Omar Minaya Mets

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  10. Mini Ditka

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Dan O'Dowd has to be on there. He lucked into a World Series run, but he's the guy who gave $100 million deals to Todd Helton and Mike Hampton. He gave another $50 million to Neagle.

He gave a reliever with less than two years experience a multi-million dollar deal and a kid with one year of experience (and a HUGE home/road split) $30 million.

On top of that, he made something like 60 trades in his time with the Rockies, very, very few of which panned out in their favor.

He's horseshit. Much worse than Sabean, Williams, Ricciardi, Wade and Minaya.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm also going to go against the grain here and say Jon Daniels has done a pretty good job after a horrible start (the Chris Young/Adrian Gonzalez trade). He got multiple useful players in exchange for roid freak Eric Gagne. The minimal investment in Milton Bradley is looking pretty good. He got a ton in exchange for Teixiera. Their last two drafts have been considered very good (admittedly, it'll take a long time before the verdict is really in).

Yeah, trading Volquez looks bad...but NOBODY pitches well in Texas. Nobody. He had to be sent to A-ball after a brutal big league apprenticeship. Maybe he'd be sucking wind in Texas and just needed the change of scenery.

If Daniels can find a way to develop young pitching there, or do well in taking fliers on guys like Vicente Padilla (who, of course, is now overpaid...doh) as opposed to Jason Jennings, watch out. Of course, will he get that chance? Tom Hicks is a doof and I can't imagine he hired Nolan Ryan to report to a kid less than half his age.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Williams and Minaya definitely should not be on this list. They've had too much success to be considered the worst GM. It's fair to criticize some of what they've done, but the worst? No way. I don't think Sabean should be here, either, partly because the Bonds situation was so unique that it's hard to blame him for his handling of it. If you want the worst GM in baseball, find somebody whose teams never win.

4. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Josh Hamilton for Volquez favors Daniels, if you ask me (which you didn't, but I'm going to explain anyway).

Volquez will, even with Dusty Baker's refusal to limit innings, pitch a maximum of 210 innings this year. His VORP will likely be around 40.

Hamilton will play 145 games. That's more innings. His VORP will be around 70, I'm guessing.

Hamilton>Volquez

5. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Peter Angelos for the O's?!?!?!

Signing Sammy Sosa
    Giving Albert Belle huge money
    Fired Davey Johnson
    Lost Mike Mussina and Rafael Palmeiro

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I voted Sabean.

7. I'm guessing that overnight Sabean and Colletti will pick up a number of votes as the West Coast members weigh in.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

It's Bavasi and it isn't close, he paid for two overrated "sluggers" that haven't slugged anything. A few months back the Seattle Times had their usual letters in the Sunday paper. One of the writers said the only way the Mariners are going to be good is if they stop paying guys that are good fathers and marginal baseball players. Hit the nail on the head there.

9. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i don't know who is more full of fail

chris l for not realizing that wayne krivsky is the former reds manager and now employed by the mets or the guy comparing position player vorp to pitcher vorp grasping at sabermetric straws

10. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Probably not the best comparison, but I think the point comes across fairly clear: A position player has a far greater impact than a pitcher. A pitcher impacts one out of five games. A position player can impact every one of those five games.

11. Honestly - I did the list from memory. Sorry if it's not up to your standards.

And for the record - I'm much more full of Bud Light than I am of fail. I may even start a "Ask Drunk Chris" thread after the Sox and Deadwood are over. I may start that thread just to make Moddy stay up late enough to delete it!

Goddamn punks. Get off my lawn!

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yeah, my standards are knowing what the fuck you're talking about... but yeah..

Draft saved Draft deleted