1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst GM in MLB

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jun 27, 2008.

?

Who is the worst GM in MLB? I'll tell you right now - Ed Wade has passed Jim Bowden in my book.

1. Ed Wade Astros

12 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Jim Bowden Nationals

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. Ken Williams White Sox

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ned Colletti Dodgers

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Brian Sabean Giants

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. JP Riccardi Blue Jays

9 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. Wayne Krivsky Reds

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  8. The Ghost of Bill Bavasi

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  9. Omar Minaya Mets

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  10. Mini Ditka

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Personally - I don't think JP Riccardi belongs on the list. I think he's just had some bad luck. I know others will argue that Kenny Williams doesn't belong because he's won a World Series. Trust me - he belongs on the list (and near the top of the list).

Then again - why trust me? Voice your own opinion.

I hope nobody votes for Mini Ditka because I think he's a great general manager. He's the Zombo.com of GM's in my book.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It's got to be The Ghost of Bill Bavasi. The Mariners were good not very long ago and now they are downright awful and saddled with terrible contracts.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm in.

4. Are you the master of your domain?

5. The Josh Hamilton-Edinson Volquez trade saved his job, but before that, Jon Daniels was nothing short of complete failure in Texas.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And I'm pretty sure I share your opinion.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Kenny Williams does not deserve to be on the list at all. He retooled the team in one offseason for '05 and has reshaped the '07 disaster into a first place team. Oh, and a 90-win season in 2006 isn't bad either.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Beat me to it. And I don't think Sabean should be on there either...he put together four playoff teams and would have won the World Series in 2002 if the Giants had a competent manager. It wasn't his choice to blow one-quarter of the payroll on Barry Bonds and to continue to try to put band aids on gaping wounds in order to win now. And their farm system gets hammered, but he keeps churning out pitchers. I'd rather have to overpay for position players than pitchers.

Of course, he did make Barry Zito the highest-paid pitcher in history. So there you go.

And how does Omar Minaya not make the list? Chris = abject fail.

9. You are absolutely right. Minaya does deserve to be on the list. I, however, am not convinced that he's a real GM. I think he's some sort of pod-person who has been planted by the Commissioner's Office. First in Montreal and then in New York. He's some sort of bizarre Chia GM that is some sort of complex inside joke between Bud Selig and Peter Ueberroth

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

But we do agree that you're abject fail, right?

(Chia GM = awesome. Put water on it and watch it sign aging veterans and make horrible trades!)

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

That is AWESOME.

chchchchia!

Draft saved Draft deleted