1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst free agent pitcher ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael Echan, Apr 29, 2008.

?

Who of these two choices is the worst free agent signing?

1. Mike Hampton, 2001 (Colorado - $121 million, eight years)

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. Barry Zito, 2007 (San Francisco - $126 million, seven years)

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Dreifort doesn't belong on the list. He re-signed with his team, which should have known better, but which was in bed with Boras at the time.

I see a free agent as a guy who a new team signed and then realized it had an albatross on its hands.

What about Kenny Rogers being unable to win in New York?

Barry Zito will be the clear No. 1 by the time his contract ends. His lack of velocity will dictate he only gets worse from here.

Nice to know Jayson Stark wrote about this already. I would never have known, since I long ago quit reading his 80-inch columns, consisting of 65 inches of stats discussion. Maybe his stuff is different now . . . .

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That picture was the last time he could lift his arm that high.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

In the early days of free agency, the pitching-savvy Dodgers signed Dave Goltz and Don Stanhouse and got exactly shit out of both of them.

4. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

In fairness, Wayne Garland ruined his arm after signing that contract with the Indians. That doesn't get him off the hook for being a free-agent bust, but like Hampton, it isn't like he just went out and got pounded start after start.

Garland actually spent several years with the Indians, and by all accounts, made every effort to come back from the injury. But that was a much different time, medically, for MLB pitchers, and he was never the same.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Good pull on Garland. A Nashville hometown hero from my youth.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Garland cast the die, there's no question of that.

And who created this poll? Your joe average ESPN SportsCenter has more historical perspective.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Ed Whitson is a good one.

8. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

Andy Messersmith.

The one who broke new ground in 1976.

Great career before. Not so great after.

18-22 after he made history, though his ERA was still pretty good.

Just bad timing and bad luck. He was a terrific pitcher before that.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Don Gullett is not as bad of one as Garland, but he lasted only two years with the Yanks before injuries ended what could have been a Hall of Fame career at age 27.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Plus, I believe he had a ton of pressure placed on him by being one of the first free agents. Anytime he screwed up, the fans got on him.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Lots of good ones mentioned so far, but can I submit the name of Steve Trout to the nominating committee?

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Trout only was a free agent once. He went to the Cubs from the White Sox, and had a real good year in '84. He was traded to the Yankees for Bob Tewskbury and a couple other guys, so he wasn't a free agent.

Draft saved Draft deleted