1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst fictional coaching decision in movie/TV show

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mpcincal, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember seeing the couch scene the first time I watched it on HBO or one of the pay channels, but every time it's on regular cable they seem to cut it off after the U.S. Open ends.

A sequel should deal with his one moment of fleeting fame becoming a distant memory. Like he's managed to become a marginal and aging Tour player who usually finishes T-37 or something like that. Good enough to keep doing it and make a comfortable living, but he's never won on the Tour or really even come close to another major.
    He's grinding and grinding but not going anywhere, then decides to hang it up after one last run at the U.S. Open. Naturally, he plays out winds up being faced with the same situation as 20 years ago -- lay up on 18 or go for it.
    He goes for it.
    And drills it to win.
    And walks off into the sunset.

2. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

What would @Alma think of that movie? Or Civil War-era reviewer Jebediah Atkinson?

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Squeeze play with an aging catcher with bad knees at the plate.

4. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I always felt like Tin Cup was more about being remembered. Maybe it had to do with the string of Some Guys winning the U.S. Open a lot around that time, but I always felt liked the 12 on 18 was something that was always going to be remembered (maybe like Jean Van de Velde) whereas few people probably remember what year Steve Jones won the Open.

Now, granted, ask any golfer which he'd rather have, and he'd take the Open win. But that McAvoy's story was of the club pro with a once-in-a-lifetime chance, went for it, never gave in and took his 12, only to never be heard from again, seems fitting (and plays a lot like amateur Billy Joe Patton's chase at The Masters). The movie, in my opinion, stands stronger without a sequel.

Batman likes this.
  5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

1. Why does Bombay put in Julie "The Cat" Gaffney for the last shooter of the Iceland shootout when she hadn't played at any point in the damned Junior Goodwill Games?
    2. Why does Bombay give Charlie Conway's roster spot to some kid from South Central whose "knucklepuck" probably misses the net 9 times out of 10 anyway and has probably not skated on ice in ever?
    3. Why was Henry Rowengartner allowed to stay in the game after suffering a major fall onto his throwing arm?

To name a few.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not that a jury would convict her, but how did Rowengartner's mom not get arrested for punching out her boyfriend?

7. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Maybe this one has been said already (not going back through 7 pages), but ...

The Pittsburgh team's decision to return the kickoff in The Dark Knight Rises.

Draft saved Draft deleted