1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst fictional coaching decision in movie/TV show

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mpcincal, Aug 21, 2015.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I gotta tell you, there was definitely a reason manager Joe Reardon (I believe that's how he introduced himself when Crash first reported to the Bulls) was still stuck in Single A. Another example he wasn't the best skipper was during the classic 'cocksucker' argument Crash had with the ump. Skip should of been out there much earlier than he was to keep his player from being run. And then he has the nerve to look surprised when Crash gets the thumb. Geez, Skip, your catcher reignited the argument when it was dying down and barked at him some more. What the hell did you think was going to happen while you were sitting in the dugout watching it?

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Barbra Streisand throwing in the towel in "The Main Event."

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually, Little Big League probably discusses baseball strategy more than any other movie -- and gets much (although certainly not all) of it right.

Batman and TheWritingWaffle like this.
  4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

More Bad News Bears: Turner not catching that Boilermaker was shifting his lineup around. One time Stein (OBP of 1,000) is following Leak. The next time Ahmad. Turner must have been drunk or staring too much at his wife's ass or really lost his edge after striking his pitcher/son.

Actually, if Leak's dad coach the first Bears team, they would have murdered the Yankees. Murdered them.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic, but still fun -- in the film editing sense. I'm acquainted with actor Kenny Medlock. He has been in just about every one of the farcical baseball movies. He was most prominent as scout Grady Fuson, who told Brad Pitt to go fuck himself in "Moneyball."
    Many years ago when I ran into Medlock, I mentioned I saw him recently in one of those movies (Angels in the Outfield or Brewster's Millions, something like that). He asked me if I noticed the flaw. I didn't. He said, in one sequence, he singled to center and threw himself out at home.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Eventually, Roy Turner was done in by a helicopter...parent.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They also had Tomlinson, who hit one to the wall in the playoff game and was almost the greatest sports hero in Cleveland history.
    I can't decide if that would be a cool ending for a sports movie or not. Get to the big game, and some guy making his first appearance in the movie wins the game with a walk-off home run.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've seen this one mentioned a couple of times on this thread. Of course it was a bad decision ... which was kind of the point.
    Plus, there's a deleted scene or something that I only remember seeing once -- it came right at the end of the movie -- where McAvoy and the Shrink Lady are sitting on a couch back home and they're going over all of the things he did get for finishing in the top 10 of the Open. I believe it was a Masters invite, another spot in next year's Open and a bunch of other things. So he did all right financially, even if he didn't win.

9. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

Huge Tin Cup fan.
    I always thought they should've done a sequel where, either Roy plays in the Masters later that season, OR - in a much more plausible scenario, Cheech Marin reminds Roy, like 10 yrs later, that this year is the last year in which he's able to play in the U.S Open, due to his high finish in the 1995(?) Open. In that second scenario, that would mean Roy comes out of retirement at age, say, 45, for one last run at the big-time. I think audience's would've bought it...
    Of course, they could STILL do a sequel with Costner to this very day, where he makes a run at the Senior/Champions Tour. That just wouldn't be as exciting, IMO.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that scene is in the regular movie, the final scene before the credits.

I've always been surprised they've never done a sequel to "Tin Cup" -- you'd think it had to be fairly fun for the cast members and not too extravagant a budget to do the remake -- even though Costner, Russo and Don Johnson are former A-listers, none of them are pulling in mega-paychecks anymore.

They could do some kind of "Silver Cup" sequel now, where the Senior/Legends Tour or a national sports cable network tries to set up a 25th anniversary rematch, etc etc.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

So that's 8.

I guess Gentry, who was red-tagged in spring training and never heard from again, makes it 9.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

At least according to Wikipedia, it made $75M on a $45M budget, which probably isn't enough for them to kick the tires on a sequel. And I think Costner's cachet is still pretty good, despite all of his dud movies, so he probably wouldn't come cheap.

Draft saved Draft deleted