1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst fictional coaching decision in movie/TV show

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mpcincal, Aug 21, 2015.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

In fairness, one guy died before spring training.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

I really think All the Right Moves was an underrated sports and '80s movie. It really portrayed senior year of high school accurately, especially one's senior year of football -- when you know you've gotta make noise quick to have any chance of earning a chance to play in college, or -- for most of us -- you start to realize these are the last meaningful games you'll ever play in your life.

Plus, 1983 Lea Thompson.

heyabbott likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What about Kellner? He was the Opening Day starter, and did so-so, allowing four runs in five innings.

4. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

We could really second-guess so many of Hayden Fox's decisions.
    First of all, his defensive coordinator had a Forrest-Gump-level IQ.
    Secondly, and maybe more importantly, how much time was Hayden even spending in the office, breaking down game film? We got a serious window into the life of a coach, and how often was he spending time with Christine, at her place, or at his cabin in Outstate Minnesota? Seemed like 95 percent of his life was devoted to his woman. Maybe it shouldn't surprise anyone that it took him like 5 seasons to even advance to the lightly regarded Patriot Bowl.
    Thirdly, I also must question Hayden's ability to put together a coaching staff. How many assistants did he have? 2?! Luther and Dauber.
    And, lastly, I also must question his ability on where to hold a pregame meal. Fox's Orlando Breakers have a long-awaited playoff game in Buffalo, and he lets his players eat at Buffalo Billy's? Should we be surprised they were all stricken with food poisoning? Come on, Coach.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

This is one of the most delightful threads I've come across here. Well done.

All of the Nebraska high school basketball coaches in 1985 opting NOT to run a box-and-one on Teen Wolf once he became "Teen Wolf". That would have shut down the Beavers after they got a little film on his tendencies. Side note - Teen Wolf dumping the hot blonde to get back to Boof. Also a bad coaching decision.

McAvoy not laying up on 18 and accepting a thick check in the U.S. Open -- although the last 45 minutes of that movie symbolizes a lot to me. Really... it does.

Jon Voight not delegating more to his assistants at West Canaan. Could've saved a whole lot of angst from Mox.

6. exmediahack

He coaches in Minnesota and Orlando. Low expectations. Hayden Fox was never SEC material anyway.

7. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

Teen Wolf took place in Nebraska?! When did they ever explain that in the movie (granted, I haven't seen it in a long time)? I always envisioned it taking place in some Chicago exurb or something.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Excluding the excellent answers, to indulge in the kayfabe here - Wasn't that kind of a thing in 1980s and 1990s baseball, before the influence of Bill James and others started seeping in? Like, having your #2 hitter be an experienced batsman who could drop down a good bunt, as opposed to just a really good hitter.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Harry Hogge getting Cole Trickle that stripper/hooker after Trickle's first victory.

Wait. That was the best decision. Telling Cole not to pit for ice cream was another.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Also, what's with starting this guy on the perimeter?

[​IMG]

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One other one for Norman Dale: Four passes before shooting.

So if you're on a fast break, you can't shoot because you haven't done four passes yet?

12. exmediahack

You have to remember that, in 1985, the Midwest loved Paul Mokeski. Coaches couldn't get enough Little Mokeskis on their roster.

Baron Scicluna and Jake_Taylor like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted