1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst FB media guide you've gotten so far

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blandcanyon, Aug 9, 2007.

1. bueller

bueller Member

How's the Missouri guide this year? It was useless before the 208 limit. How many styles of chinstraps are the Tigers using this year?

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Mississippi State's is the same. Worse than useless from our perspective.

3. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Ohio State's is particularly awful, but to compensate they put out a heck of a spring football guide. If you want glossy pictures about how great the Buckeyes are, check the 2007 guide, but if you want to know who won the BCS National Championship game, check the spring guide.

I'm glad we at least have a book with updated stats and such, but now I kind of have to carry two damn guides with me everywhere.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The one thing I liked about the MSU book was that it listed its assistant coaches recruiting territories.

5. WS

WS Member

so did Troy's

and chaz, if you don't like it, throw it away. I'm pretty sure you won't need it.

6. FlipSide

FlipSide Member

Seconded.
    Extra points for having Saban on the front and back cover with the heading "The Process Begins," cause you know, Alabama has never been very good at the whole football thing.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I was going to say that many schools offer "supplement guides" (i.e. for the media, not for fans and recruits) and/or offer records and such online.

8. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Not D-I but... I went to a D-3 conference media day; for one of the teams there, the "media guide" consisted of a sheet of paper listing team, nickname, head coach, school location (and all of that stuff), last year's results, this year's sked, captains and some info on the head coach. No roster, no '06 stats, nada.

It's D-3, I understand; I can't see but maybe Mount Union even approaching 208. But for heaven's sakes, every other school in the conference at least had useable stuff. Not comprehensive, but helpful and useable - AND MORE THAN ONE FREAKING PAGE.

9. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

Our large state school no longer calls it a media guide. It's just a football guide. At least they are honest.

I'll print out all the relevant info before heading to a game anyway and leave the guide at home. Most of what I'll need is in the pregame notes.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Interesting. Those Raiders books were hideous...looked like they'd been laid out on Pagemaker 1.0. And the insistence on bragging about their history of excellence--when the last title was actually in 1984--was always funny.

As for the Jets...Frank Ramos had his faults, but I loved his media guides. The guy'd been there forever and those books were concise yet absolutely packed with information. My favorite media guide ever might be the 1998 Jets one...the first year w/the new old logo. A sparse but attention-grabbing cover and a book crammed with 38 years of Jets history.

Yes, I have a favorite media guide. Might be time to get out of the house.

Ron Colangelo's books were about twice the size but no more useful and far more hideous looking thanks to Jay Cross' obsession with yellow and green. I'll presume Jay and the new guy, whomever he is, have conspired to create crap.

Of course, with wannabe Belichicks Mangini and Tannenbaum bound and determined not to release a goddamn thing of relevance, I'm shocked they even have a media guide. "Federal law prohibits us from revealing where our players were born, went to school or where they rank on the depth chart."

11. State's guide is perhaps the most well-designed media guide I've seen in some time. No, it's far from useful for us, but that's OK. The pages and pages of historical and program info distributed with it is all I need.

Of course, the university can't distribute the supplement bound inside a binder. That would be a bound publication, and that's a NCAA no-no. So they hand you the supplement, a rubber band holding it together, and hand you a binder if you want one.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh, and to answer the question: Fenian_Bastard's was much worse. Three hundred-odd pages of left wing rantings and ravings.

At least the pics of Football_Bat's coaches and players were Simpsonized.

Draft saved Draft deleted