1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Fan Experiences?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3OctaveFart, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So? They sell alcohol at the opera, too.

What does testosterone have to do with anything?

Male drunkenness doesn't explain male drunkenness.

Why accept boorishness in one venue, but not another?

2. doodah

doodah Guest

Do you understand fanhood? One of the negative things about it, depending on how you look at it, is fans are FANATICS. They care about their team. They go crazy about their team. If you aren't with them, YOU'RE AGAINST THEM.

At a movie, nobody gives a shit about what jersey you have on. They don't serve beer.

Seriously, you might as well be making the argument that church and football are different. OF COURSE THEY'RE DIFFERENT! And they should be.

As for worst fan experiences, I imagine going to a football game in a dome would be pretty shitty.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yup. It's gotten to the point where I don't even attend Phillies-Nats games at Nats Park anymore. Despite the fact that the Nats have won like 8 of the past 11 vs. them. Or something like that.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm just going to sit back and watch as doodah tries to school Azrael on the intricacies of sport.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This explains nothing.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Schaffer Stadium was zoo. The traffic getting in on RT 1, the mud parking lot, bad bathrooms, and the drunken drive down RT 1 getting home were not for the faint of heart.

7. doodah

doodah Guest

You said this so much crisper than I could have.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Culture plays a role also. In European soccer drunken behavior is expected.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You keep defining the what, not answering the why. (If you need to hire more security to control a crowd, hire more security.)

I'm asking why we accept the drunken mob mentality at our sporting events, but almost nowhere else.

10. doodah

doodah Guest

Because there's nothing realistic we can do to combat it.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Coarsening of the culture . . . which can be blamed, in large part, on certain segments of the media.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't think this is true. If we wanted better security, we'd demand better security.

Draft saved Draft deleted