1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Fan Experiences?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3OctaveFart, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I posted before I saw this. :)

Every Sunday, I kiss the boyfriend goodbye. I cannot remember the last time we watched a Texans game together. And our mutual love for football is one of the things that attracted us to each other in the first place.

He feels like you do. We have learned to respect that. The outcome, of course, is that we rarely watch the Texans games together.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I have a tougher time than I used to. The hassle of making my way into a pro sports contest -- travel, parking, seating -- has generally made it not worth it to me. Making my way into a major-college contest is getting there, too.

And trust me: When you get into your 50s, being able to stretch out to watch the game, rather than sitting upright for four hours, has major advantages.

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I am not asking anyone to like it. I am just asking that people understand that a lot of us DO like it. I like the crowds, the noise, the walking, all of it.

I don't even watch away games at home. I go out somewhere and watch with a crowd. Call me crazy, but I like it.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I am very close to being 50 and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon, barring a major medical injury. (Which sort of happened. I fell and hurt my knee the day before the playoff game and still went and walked.)

On the flip side, I don't like going to the movie theater. I would rather be at home on my couch curled up with my blankets and pillows watching it on a DVD. I don't like the experience of watching a movie in a theater and I think it's too expensive.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I can't speak to the age drawbacks, oldtimer (;)), but there is still nothing I enjoy more on my days off than attending a major sporting event. I go to at least a dozen MLB games a year (and most years, a weekend trip to spring training), usually a couple NHL games and maybe a couple college games in one sport or another.

NFL/NCAA football? Horrible fan experiences, IMO. With two exceptions: if my team is involved (and they're all far away, so they rarely come visit) ... or it's the Rose Bowl, which is its own separate category.

Maybe if I had a humongous TV at home and a relaxing couch or chair to stretch out, I'd feel different.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

60 inches, my man.

(The TV. I mean the TV.)

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yeah seriously. Its not like cops dressed as Giants fans are gonna' go in shit-talking and raising hell. They're gonna' wear a Giants jacket and then wait and see what happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted