1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst excuse for making up quotes?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Zabka, Feb 16, 2013.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

His twitter page has also ceased to exist. Wonder why...

2. You have to give an award to the reporter for making up two ridiculous reasons as to why the quotes appeared in the paper.

The paper's reaction is bad as well, because we all know editors will fact check a minor-league hockey gamer.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Mistakes happen. This wasn't a mistake. Making up a quote is a deliberate move. He's fortunate that I'm not his editor. People have been canned less serious offenses.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Yes. And that's why I'd tell him to play the lotto (because he's lucky he didn't get fired).

5. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

In the chaos of getting quotes from visiting teams, filled with players you've never seen before, I can see attributing a quote to the wrong person. There have been times I've had to check with a visiting writer to verify that it was Babe Ruth who said "X" and not Lou Gehrig.

But using quotes from an old game between the same two teams? Even if that's what really happened, it's a mistake that says you are in the wrong profession.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

None of this is right but making up quotes when you never spoke to the person is the ballsiest thing you could ever try.

If you made up a quote when you actually spoke to someone could possibly be pulled off. Making up a "fact" could be defended with a got confused statement.

Creating an entire interview that never happened? Fuck. Just write the gamer without quotes and file it under shitty reporting.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Murray thing looks like a horrible mistake, instead of a deliberate thing. Embarrassing, but not a firable offense.

The one thing with Boucher, though, is the reporter says he spoke to someone, who gave a couple of quick answers and that was it. Maybe the encounter was so brief that Boucher forgot it, or maybe someone else on the team was having some fun with the reporter.

Or, the reporter just epically screwed up.

8. And both mistakes happened after the same game. What a coincidence!

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

You say "to-may-to" (horrible mistake), I say "to-mah-to" (intentionally deceptive journalistic misconduct).

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

So did they fire this dooshbag or does he still have a job? Surely they don't believe him.

11. slc10

slc10 Member

BCK, think about that poor door! It didn't screw the quotes! Try a window. You can see if the guy flies or not.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

His ass should be hitting the bricks.

Draft saved Draft deleted